Incessant Cheeping Sound

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
byrdmane
Pip
Pip

Incessant Cheeping Sound

Post by byrdmane » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:14 pm

I've had this female canary for a few months and right now it has a poor nest going on. Right now all it does is sit in it and make cheeping noises all day. It's the same cheeping noise she makes when she squats, raises her tail, and shake her wings in front of a mirror. It's been going on for a couple of days so far. I'm not sure what this means, and what will happen if I let it go on too long.

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Re: Incessant Cheeping Sound

Post by mohum » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:15 am

I have a lone female and she laid eggs after the introduction of a nest. If you remove all nests and materials before this happens, she should get over it soon. My cockatiel also lays all the time but she is getting less hormonal as she gets older.( I am hoping she has used up all her eggs)
Maybe remove the mirror too if you want to discourage her.
1 cat, 1 cockatiel, 3 canaries, 9 zebra finches, 1 kakariki

byrdmane
Pip
Pip

Post by byrdmane » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:49 am

mohum wrote: I have a lone female and she laid eggs after the introduction of a nest. If you remove all nests and materials before this happens, she should get over it soon. My cockatiel also lays all the time but she is getting less hormonal as she gets older.( I am hoping she has used up all her eggs)
Maybe remove the mirror too if you want to discourage her.
I gave her a nest when she started trying to pluck and thrash around the cage. At that time, I took that as a sign that she wanted to build a nest. I've removed the nest a few times whenever it looked like she had abandoned it. Every removal eventually follows up with more desperate attempts at feather plucking. She can't pull out her own feathers for some reason but every time she attempts to do so, she ends up jerking herself around the cage and will fall off perches. I'm now starting to think that boredom may be a possible cause for this behavior.

Even with the removal of nest, she still had laid a couple of eggs that fell down and broke up through the bottom grate.

I removed the mirror as a permanent feature in the cage, but I still bring it out from time to time. If she's reacting to the sight of another canary by going into mating mode, then that second canary I've introduced into her cage is going to be a problem.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:02 am

I don't have any experience with canaries, but I did want to welcome you to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, though most of the articles there apply to finches. If you put your general location in your profile, it will help members later on when answering your questions.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:14 pm

byrdmane

Maybe let her sit on a nest with eggs for a while to occupy herself.

byrdmane
Pip
Pip

Post by byrdmane » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:07 am

Babs wrote: byrdmane

Maybe let her sit on a nest with eggs for a while to occupy herself.
I'm going to let her sit on the next until she gets bored of it, and leave it there to make sure she has no interest in it anymore. Now I gotta figure out how to keep the nesting canary from plucking the new frilly one.

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by mohum » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:52 am

I did that with my canary. She sat for about 2-3 weeks and has now abandoned the nest (which I removed) and is back to her normal chirpy self. I am looking for a companion for her though as we lost her pal some months ago.
1 cat, 1 cockatiel, 3 canaries, 9 zebra finches, 1 kakariki

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:17 pm

byrdmane this is a clear sign that the hen is ion condition for a mate. Don't be surprised if she eventually lays an egg. This is so she can just stay in routine and also get rid of excessive Calcium. If this hap[pens let her sit on them for about 10 to 14 days. unless you pair her up with a male. then remove the eggs wile she is paired and let her do her thing with him. But if no male this allows her do go through the cycle once or twice and then she will go into a molt and be back to her self after her molting periods. After the 2nd time laying eggs let her sit for 10 to 14 days and then remove the nest and the eggs or she will want to lay more eggs again. You don't want the Hen to end up egg bound from lacking calcium.

Squatting and putting tail; in the air is her calling for her mate to come inseminate her so she can lay fertile eggs.

If you recently add a male chances are her first clutch may not be fertile if they weren't given enough time to pair themselves, but will give them practice.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask we are here to help :)

byrdmane
Pip
Pip

Post by byrdmane » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:10 pm

Jamm972 wrote: byrdmane this is a clear sign that the hen is ion condition for a mate. Don't be surprised if she eventually lays an egg. This is so she can just stay in routine and also get rid of excessive Calcium. If this hap[pens let her sit on them for about 10 to 14 days. unless you pair her up with a male. then remove the eggs wile she is paired and let her do her thing with him. But if no male this allows her do go through the cycle once or twice and then she will go into a molt and be back to her self after her molting periods. After the 2nd time laying eggs let her sit for 10 to 14 days and then remove the nest and the eggs or she will want to lay more eggs again. You don't want the Hen to end up egg bound from lacking calcium.

Squatting and putting tail; in the air is her calling for her mate to come inseminate her so she can lay fertile eggs.

If you recently add a male chances are her first clutch may not be fertile if they weren't given enough time to pair themselves, but will give them practice.

Thanks a lot. I almost figured they were mating, but wasn't 100% sure. Nice to know that the tail waving and squating was a mating gesture.

byrdmane
Pip
Pip

Post by byrdmane » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:19 am

Not sure if good or bad update.

The cheeper has stopped cheeping, but leaves the nest only a few times a day to eat and drink. The second canary became interested in the cheeper's nest. They had some minor squables over the nest with one occasionally sitting on top of each other until cheeper or second canary got tired and moved on.

I placed a second nest for second canary to sit on, but second canary is more interested in the cheeper's nest. she's now taken over cheeper's old nest and cheeper pretty much ceded the nest quickly and hopped over to the second nest. With the lack of appetite going on with the nesting, I'm afraid it might treat the second nest as a reset and might starve itself.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:17 pm

Jamm972 wrote: byrdmane this is a clear sign that the hen is ion condition for a mate. Don't be surprised if she eventually lays an egg. This is so she can just stay in routine and also get rid of excessive Calcium. If this hap[pens let her sit on them for about 10 to 14 days. unless you pair her up with a male. then remove the eggs wile she is paired and let her do her thing with him. But if no male this allows her do go through the cycle once or twice and then she will go into a molt and be back to her self after her molting periods. After the 2nd time laying eggs let her sit for 10 to 14 days and then remove the nest and the eggs or she will want to lay more eggs again. You don't want the Hen to end up egg bound from lacking calcium.

Quite right, some sound info there mate :mrgreen: