Newbie.... need suggestions

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Newbie.... need suggestions

Post by sskmaestro » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:39 am

sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by sskmaestro » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:40 am

sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by sskmaestro » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:42 am

First and fourth chicks front, second and third chicks behind

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... ckixm.jpeg

sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by sskmaestro » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:34 am

The four chicks are birds now.... Couple of them started eating on their own...

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... hdkij.jpeg

sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by sskmaestro » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:35 am

Mom sitting tight on its second clutch

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 55rsk.jpeg

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:31 am

Hi fella,

As far as I can see yer doing every thing absolutely Wright,

The hen most probably will lay more eggs, they don't necessarily lay every day, a lot of hens lay every other day, normally early hrs of the morning :D

It's good that the cock bird is feeding the youngsters as most usually do a good job,

Now is the tricky bit, the hen may be possibly fertilised enough to produce more full eggs but I certainly wouldn't want to guarantee on this :roll:

For 10-15 mins every evening ( being the best time ) I'd slide the divider out half way and let the cock bird in with the hen, push divider back to shut the youngsters off if need be ,

The idea is that hopefully the cock bird will tread the hen , this may not happen every evening but you must try to do this every evening until at least till the third egg is layed to be sure of a full fertilised clutch,

The best thing to do is just play it by ear and see how you get on, if you see the cock bird tread the hen at least once or twice then this may be enough but more is obviously better :mrgreen:

sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by sskmaestro » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Stuart whiting wrote: Hi fella,

The hen most probably will lay more eggs, they don't necessarily lay every day, a lot of hens lay every other day, normally early hrs of the morning :D

It's good that the cock bird is feeding the youngsters as most usually do a good job,

Now is the tricky bit, the hen may be possibly fertilised enough to produce more full eggs but I certainly wouldn't want to guarantee on this :roll:

For 10-15 mins every evening ( being the best time ) I'd slide the divider out half way and let the cock bird in with the hen, push divider back to shut the youngsters off if need be ,

The idea is that hopefully the cock bird will tread the hen , this may not happen every evening but you must try to do this every evening until at least till the third egg is layed to be sure of a full fertilised clutch,

The best thing to do is just play it by ear and see how you get on, if you see the cock bird tread the hen at least once or twice then this may be enough but more is obviously better :mrgreen:
The hen finished her last egg on 25th july.... they mated like craze a week ago,... expecting good no of chicks...

out of 4 first clutch chicks, first and second chicks are no more begging for food when dad is in their enclosure.... third and fourth chicks are looking for dad to feed....

i am allowing the male bird into female bird's section so that he can feed her atleast 3-4 times a day....

hopefully, in next 3-4 days, if the 3rd and 4th chicks start eating egg food on their own, i will transfer the first clutch to flight cage....

the first and second chicks are eating egg food, lettuce and trying some seed as well!! yesterday i noticed them drenching themselves with a few drops of water from the water feeder.... time to give the little ones a bath :)

i want to give rest of 2-3 days for the male so that he gains something before he starts feeding the hen in between clutches.... pretty tight schedule for the little guy!

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:59 am

sskmaestro wrote:
Stuart whiting wrote: Hi fella,

The hen finished her last egg on 25th july.... they mated like craze a week ago,... expecting good no of chicks...

out of 4 first clutch chicks, first and second chicks are no more begging for food when dad is in their enclosure.... third and fourth chicks are looking for dad to feed....

i am allowing the male bird into female bird's section so that he can feed her atleast 3-4 times a day....

hopefully, in next 3-4 days, if the 3rd and 4th chicks start eating egg food on their own, i will transfer the first clutch to flight cage....

the first and second chicks are eating egg food, lettuce and trying some seed as well!! yesterday i noticed them drenching themselves with a few drops of water from the water feeder.... time to give the little ones a bath :)

i want to give rest of 2-3 days for the male so that he gains something before he starts feeding the hen in between clutches.... pretty tight schedule for the little guy!
Absolutely spot on mate,

Again as far as I can see yer doing everything right and you appear to be doing just fine =D>

Normally we start to feed canaries on hard seed at a minimum of 5 weeks old as any earlier they'll be to young, however soak seed along with the egg food is totally fine :mrgreen:

Yes mate your canaries will soon start to bath themselves and is good that they do, this proves that they are healthy and fit,

Well done, yer doing ok :-BD

sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by sskmaestro » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:17 pm

lone chick from second clutch

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... xpyos.jpeg

all other eggs not fertile...

sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by sskmaestro » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:18 pm

first clutch "birds" (wonder we no more cal them chicks right :) )

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 88i8h.jpeg

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:57 am

sskmaestro well done mate, luv the youngster on the far right of the cage, has got a cracking head on it ( nicely rounded and thick set ) :-BD

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:13 am

Beautiful babies ! I have 4 canaries and hoping to breed next spring. Congratulations on you're new clutch. I agree with Stuart.....I also like the baby on the far right ! Beautiful !! =D>
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.