Tips For Trimming Canary Nails

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
byrdmane
Pip
Pip

Tips For Trimming Canary Nails

Post by byrdmane » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:28 pm

This is actually going to be a few questions related to trimming my canary's nails. It was the first time I attempted it today.

What nail clippers do you guys use? I'm finding that the nail clippers I bought for the birds are either too blunt, or I made the mistake of trying to use it with my non-dominant hand (I caught her with my dominant hand).

Will my canaries ever get used to me holding them and trimming their nails? I really hate them squirming around my hand and it gets me too nervous to focus on performing proper nail trimming.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Tips For Trimming Canary Nails

Post by Sally » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:54 pm

Here is an article, along with a video, about how to hold a bird for clipping, and how to clip the nails. I happen to like cuticle nippers to clip nails.

http://www.finchinfo.com/health/trimmin ... _beaks.php

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Revlon-Full-J ... r/15926955
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:06 am

byrdmane

I always have things ready on the table, before catching the bird that I want.
-small nail clippers (human type)
-stop bleed powder (or plain flour, corn starch) just in case, in a small dish
-cotton balls, kleenex, etc.
-a tiny container of olive oil

I catch my birds with my right had (I'm right handed) then quickly transfer to my left hand.

I grab a hold of a foot between thumb and forefinger, separate the toes, and snip the tip off the desired nail. If it needs more, I'll snip more (always on the side of caution, as in better too little than too much).

If by chance I get a small bleed, I dip that toe into the powder, then press the tip with a cotton ball or kleenex until the bleeding stops.

When done, I take a dab of olive oil, and give their feet a little massage, all over the foot and between the toes and around the nails.

Job completed, I place bird back in flight.

Do birds ever stop squirming during this process?
Some do and some don't. I have a few that play dead in my hand, and others that bite or attempt to chew on my finger.

Good luck
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:34 am

lovezebs wrote: byrdmane

I always have things ready on the table, before catching the bird that I want.
-small nail clippers (human type)
-stop bleed powder (or plain flour, corn starch) just in case, in a small dish
-cotton balls, kleenex, etc.
-a tiny container of olive oil

I catch my birds with my right had (I'm right handed) then quickly transfer to my left hand.

I grab a hold of a foot between thumb and forefinger, separate the toes, and snip the tip off the desired nail. If it needs more, I'll snip more (always on the side of caution, as in better too little than too much).

If by chance I get a small bleed, I dip that toe into the powder, then press the tip with a cotton ball or kleenex until the bleeding stops.

When done, I take a dab of olive oil, and give their feet a little massage, all over the foot and between the toes and around the nails.

Job completed, I place bird back in flight.

Do birds ever stop squirming during this process?
Some do and some don't. I have a few that play dead in my hand, and others that bite or attempt to chew on my finger.

Good luck
Excellent post Elana, spot on, very well said :D

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:51 am

lovezebs I've never done the olive oil massage after trimming, but it sounds like it would be a good idea, especially for those older birds that get dry/scaly feet and legs.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:54 am

Stuart whiting

Thanks.
Glad you enjoyed it :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:01 pm

Sally

HI Sally,

I started with the Olive oil with my little ones, to get the bands to slide on easier, then I noticed that the skin on their feet and legs benefitted from it. That's when I decided, why not the rest of the crew, so now whenever I have to catch someone for whatever the reason, they get a foot massage. And yes, it does help the dry skin on older birds' feet (good for humans too, lol).
~Elana~