Air sac mite and Scatt question.

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Maleficum
Nestling
Nestling

Air sac mite and Scatt question.

Post by Maleficum » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:37 am

My canary got a few weeks back was in ad condition and the vet got me Ivomec to treat the probable foot mites and probable air sac mites with instruction to give one drop on the skin in the neck (easy because he/she don't have feathers on the head or neck) and repeat it after 10 days and then once more after 10 days so yesterday I gave the second treatment and like the first time he/she started coughing a lot the day after is that normal? I also read on this forum that you should give Ivomec with 14 days interval does it make any different to give every 10th day? He/she had the typical clicking sound when I listen to him/her before treating.

My other canary who looks healthy (I've had them in separate cages and try to have them in different rooms) also got two of the treatment (never got any treatment when I got him and his partner late died) but do I have to give a third one when he don't have any symptoms?

And when can I try putting them together without risking my healthy bird getting something from the sic one? (I had the sic one for almost two weeks know).

I was thinking of ordering home some Scatt (sins you have to go to the vet with your birds here in Sweden to get Ivomec) but I was wondering how long best before date it has (is it different when it's been opened?) with only two birds right know I wouldn't be using much of it.
Deviantart <-- Drawings, Photos, Porcelain painting.

Instagram <-- Follow my blind rabbit on Instagram.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Air sac mite and Scatt question.

Post by Sally » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:00 am

I would follow the vet's instructions, he may have a reason for administering the Ivomec at 10-day intervals. I would also continue the three treatments, even if a bird is not showing any more symptoms. I would ask the vet when he recommends that you put the birds together.

When the bird starts coughing soon after a treatment, that usually means that a number of air sac mites have been killed in the trachea, and the bird is trying to clear them.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org