Newbie canary

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Allybaba66
Pip
Pip

Newbie canary

Post by Allybaba66 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:48 am

Hello, we have acquired a previously unwanted canary, he had lived with two other canaries. Who had died :( . His cage was very dirty, he looked scruffy he has hardly any feathers around his throat, don't know his age... He had a mirror in his cage and he was obsessed with it never leaving its side. We removed the mirror as it would peck it non stop, he began to brighten up, he began using the bath. He then started th make a nest with grasses, my husband bought a nest for him(presuming it's a him! As has a long song, he began looking depressed again never leaving the nest, so we bought another canary, he still won't leave the nest.and now getting the new bird to feed him....I want to make them happy. Please help

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Newbie canary

Post by Sally » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:57 am

I don't know anything about canaries, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum! There are other members who do have canaries and may be able to help you. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to answer locale-specific questions later on. There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, though those articles are directed at finches.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

jimenezl
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by jimenezl » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:30 am

Hi Allybaba66,
Your canary could be stressed, sick, or both. If sick, you may have exposed your second canary. In any case, seems to me that rest is indicated and nesting is not restful. You may need to provide preventative care also.
I'm sure others will help.
Good luck,
Luis
Two RC Cordon Bleu,

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by mohum » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:51 am

My two canaries were very scruffy when I acquired them. It may have been neglect or just moulting. They soon feathered up lovely with lots of tlc. I didn't know their age and sadly lost one of them recently .I didn't know their sex but they didn't sing much. However the remaining canary laid a clutch of eggs when I introduced a nest for my finches so I assume they must have both been female.
I decided to purchase a male and am now awaiting a happy event. Are yours definitely a pair?
1 cat, 1 cockatiel, 3 canaries, 9 zebra finches, 1 kakariki

sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by sskmaestro » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:20 am

Well.... Male canaries do not make any nest....

Your Canary should be a female! Do the second bird sharr the nest? If you are planning to breed them, make sure tou have a pair and in condition

Allybaba66
Pip
Pip

Post by Allybaba66 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:37 pm

Hi, we removed the nest and the first canary has perked up and started looking good again,acting like he's the boss. So happy, they are not fighting, now sharing a perch, we have left the door open and the second canary comes out and flies around returning to the cage himself, first canary has no inclination to come out, If he has never been let out, will he ever come out of the cage, he's chirping but not singing. Thankyou for your helpful comments.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:57 pm

I am new to this site, but when I saw you're post I just wanted to say that it sounds like you are doing a great job with you're adopted canary. I have two canaries (one is suppose to be a male and one a female). Like you're babies they get along very well, one being a little bossy, but they seem healthy and happy together !! I am not a canary expert, but maybe it is a personality thing and someday she may surprise you and come out of her cage. Best of luck to you and you're babies !!