How To Soften Pellets Without Wasting Them

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
byrdmane
Pip
Pip

How To Soften Pellets Without Wasting Them

Post by byrdmane » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:04 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to convert two of my canaries to eating pellets (Lafeber's). What I'm noticing is that the pellets might be too hard for them to crunch down. That and the habit of hulling their seeds means that they spit out the pellets mostly uneaten before screaming in distress.

Now I've soaked some apple sauce into the pellets and they're receiving the pellets a little more nicely but I'm afraid that this may lead to them expecting wet, apple-flavored, mushy pellets and rejecting normal, dry pellets.

With my job, I don't really have the schedule to change out the food dish every few hours to prevent them from eating damp, spoiled pellets. I don't want them to starve while I'm at work because they're spitting out the dry pellets, but I do want them to have the benefits of a pellet diet.

Any thoughts? Some spoil-free softening trick? Grind up the pellets? Switch back to seed?

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: How To Soften Pellets Without Wasting Them

Post by cindy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm

You can try adding a little water just past the top of the pellets and microwave them until the water is absorbed... let them cool a little and serve warm. This is corn based so wetting it and leaving it out can grow mold. I would mix the pellets in the seed.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:00 am

In my opinion birds should have seed available at all times and not be on a pellet only diet.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:55 pm

I had one canary who was tricky to convert, I started him on pellets by mixing them in eggfood and gradually offering them with less and less egg until he accepted them dry. He was the only bird I had which didn't immediately accept pellet foods.

I feed a diet about half and half pellets and seed mix plus daily fresh food.
~Dylan

~~~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:10 pm

I tried an all-pellet diet at one time, but I found that my birds became very quiet and not so active. Once I offered seed to them again, they started singing and flying around their cages once more. Even vets are now recommending that birds be offered both seed and pellets.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org