keeping water cool

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

keeping water cool

Post by lem2bert » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:02 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my canaries water cool on hot days. I thought about putting an ice cube in their water, but I am not sure if that is a good idea. I only give them bottled water as the water in my area is treated with many chemicals. I do not keep the water in the fridge so it is room temperature when I fill their bowls. Would it be ok to keep the water in the fridge and give it to them cold ? Any help would be appreciated .....thank-you !
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Re: keeping water cool

Post by Barbara » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:39 pm

Betty not sure what other people think I run all my water thru a brita filter on my faucet for my birds,dogs and myself,when I run it for a while it is cold.but I think puting it in fridge or trying a ice cube,they may enjoy it just try it when your home to see if they go for it ,I have a canary but also finches and my finches love to bath in there" fresh" cold water every time I change it [-X little buggers.I'll have to watch any other responses
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:56 am

Thank-you Barbara, the water filter is a good idea.....I will look into that . The water out of my faucet is colder ...thanks again Barbara.

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:27 pm

I don't cold water from the fridge will harm your birds. The breeder of my canaries put cold water from the fridge in her canaries' bathing dishes. She said her birds preferred the cold water to the room temperature.
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Antone France

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:27 am

Thank-you Layne, I will put the bottled water in the fridge for them. :D