Is this odd behavior ?

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Is this odd behavior ?

Post by lem2bert » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:04 pm

I have two canaries one is suppose to be a female and one is a male. They are in a flight cage together and get along fine. The one that is suppose to be a female is a little bossy, but the male just lets her have her way. They have never fought or hurt each other. My question is I noticed that sometime the male will get on a higher perch and the female will get on a lower one and reach up and open her mouth the male will reach over her and open his, then they will fly off the perches and she will try to land on top of him and he will fly away. Is this normal female behavior or does anyone think that I might have two males ? Please any help from anyone familiar with canaries would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :?
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

jonvill
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Re: Is this odd behavior ?

Post by jonvill » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:50 pm

That happened to me once. I thought I had a pair in a large flight cage only to discover I had two male canaries in the same cage!

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:15 pm

Thank-you so much for you're reply Jonvill, I also think I have two males but unless they fight I will let them stay together ! Thank-you again :D

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:42 pm

It's possible that you could have two cock canaries in the same cage but if its during the breeding season be very careful because if they are cocks you'll definitely need to separate them as they will then continuesly fight with one another,

In 30 odd years of breeding canaries there isn't one time I can say wear two cocks will not fight during the breeding season :roll:

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Thank-you Stuart, I will watch very carefully for any kind of aggressive behavior. Thank-you again !!

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:29 pm

lem2bert wrote: Thank-you Stuart, I will watch very carefully for any kind of aggressive behavior. Thank-you again !!
No worries mate, glad I can help :mrgreen:

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:04 am

If two males are in the same cage, frequently only one of them will sing. That just adds to the confusion, because we think the non-singing one is a hen. It is best to keep them in separate cages, even if they aren't fighting right now.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:58 am

Dave wrote: If two males are in the same cage, frequently only one of them will sing. That just adds to the confusion, because we think the non-singing one is a hen. It is best to keep them in separate cages, even if they aren't fighting right now.
Quite agree =D>

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:10 am

Thank-you all very much for you're help. I am going to take you're advice and separate them.