Ok this is weird

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Randomusername
Hatchling
Hatchling

Ok this is weird

Post by Randomusername » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:25 pm

So I've had my Gytha bird for a couple of months now. She's a very spoiled girl. She gets fresh greens daily. Kale, celery greens from my garden, a bit of spinach now and them. I've noticed, and I'm not the only one, that her color seems much more vibrant. She's a green variegated and she sure seems a lot more colorful than she was a couple months ago. Is it the greens? Or maybe just because she probably has a more varied diet now? Anyone have any thoughts on my color-changing canary?

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Ok this is weird

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:53 am

Hi mate,

Yep yer green variegated canary will gain a slightly better colour if your feeding a quality diet,

Certain greens will enhance the birds colour a little,

I've always liked to use broccoli as there's a lot of goodness in the veg and is an excellent addition to when rearing birds :mrgreen:

Wild dandelion is another food source that greatly conditions canaries aswell :D

Randomusername
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Randomusername » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:59 am

Hey! I'm not crazy! She hates broccoli but loves all other greens! I'll keep the dandelions from now on instead of composting. I'm excited to see what she looks like after she molts! What a fascinating little creature she is!

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:12 am

That's interesting, I've never known a canary to hate broccoli :shock:

I don't feed the stalks etc, just the seeded head :mrgreen:

Incidentally I've also always given finely grated carrots aswell,

Yep they sure are fascinating creatures,

My favourite birds being the very small Estrilldids :D