Canary Hen Left Nest/Hatchlings

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
maratallah
Pip
Pip

Canary Hen Left Nest/Hatchlings

Post by maratallah » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:07 pm

Hi everybody,
my Canary hen that just had two eggs hatched last week (8 days and 7 days old), did not sleep in her nest this evening. Is this normal? or is this a sign that she abandoned her brood? Should I have to consider hand feeding the chicks? I don't know if she fed them today since I was at work all day.
Thank you.

Any urgent reply is appreciated.
Best regards
M.A.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Detailed Handfeeding for Newbies

Post by Sally » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:08 am

maratallah I'm going to move this post into its own thread so that it might be seen more easily by other members who may be able to advise you. I'll put it in the All Things Canary forum, and I'll title it Canary Hen Left Nest/Hatchlings.

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, though most of the articles are geared more to finch care. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to answer locale-specific questions later on.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Re: Canary Hen Left Nest/Hatchlings

Post by mohum » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:30 am

I have one baby in the nest of a similar age to yours. The mother is leaving the nest for longer periods now. Can you see if your babies crops are full? I have no experience of hand feeding but would probably not interfere anyway but let nature take it's course. My birds are aviary bred. It may be easier with indoor birds.
1 cat, 1 cockatiel, 3 canaries, 9 zebra finches, 1 kakariki

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:03 am

Yep this is quite normal for the hen to now leave the young in the nest and now sleep on a perch,

As the young start to near a week old onwards there obviously becomes less room in the nest,

By this stage the youngsters should start to have pin feathers coming through and the new feather growth will keep em warm of a night time, with these summer conditions that we've been experiencing laterally the birds certainly won't be cold as this is quite normal anyway :mrgreen:

Just keep an eye on em to see if there still being fed, under normal circumstances there's no reason why they shouldn't be fed :D

maratallah
Pip
Pip

Post by maratallah » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Thank you all very much for your replies which were very much appreciated. This morning the parents were feeding the young normally, and now (night time) I found her sleeping (standing actually) in the nest.
Thank you Sally for creating the new thread for my query. I am knew to this, and the only way I found to post my question yesterday was through an already existing thread.

Have a good evening all.

maratallah
Pip
Pip

Post by maratallah » Tue May 23, 2017 1:15 pm

Dear All, Canary female just died in her nest today, she has one two days old chick, 1 1 day and an egg.
Need quick advice on how to hand feed the chicks and every how many hours.
I have powder "Raff" food that is especially for chicks that I am using with a syringue. I am afraid to suffocate them with the amount of food especially when it escapes their mouths.
Any information would help.
Thank you

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue May 23, 2017 1:35 pm

maratallah

Where is your male?
Give him a chance to raise his chicks.

My male, was the one to do most of the feeding when my pair had chicks.

If handfeeding, i would be very cautious with a syringe (unless you are very experienced). Personally I feed with a tooth pick. Some people use a glass eyedropper with a very skinny tip (one tiny drop at a time).

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

maratallah
Pip
Pip

Post by maratallah » Wed May 24, 2017 3:11 am

I fed them a little yesterday. They survived the night. This morning reintroduced the nest to the male. Nothing yet. They are sleeping all the time and not asking for food. Will see what will happen today. The last egg did not hatch.
Best regards