my new additions

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

my new additions

Post by sskmaestro » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:51 pm

please provide your feedback...

crested red factor male

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 80ttk.jpeg

dominant white crested male

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 1quvq.jpeg

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: my new additions

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:49 pm

Nice birds mate :D

These are both new colour canaries and the crested non intensive red bird is known as a Stafford here in England :mrgreen:

sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by sskmaestro » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:30 pm

Stuart whiting wrote: Nice birds mate :D

These are both new colour canaries and the crested non intensive red bird is known as a Stafford here in England :mrgreen:
Thanks stuart.... not sure shuld i feed the red one color food round the year?

and also, if you observe the wings of the red bird, they have a slight yellowish finish at the end of the feather.... whats your take on that? I am newbie on these color canaries....

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:47 am

Hi mate,

You don't have to Colour feed if you don't want to, your bird is known as a red ground bird, if you don't colour feed all that will happen is that the colour will not enhance as much each time the bird moults.

The birds moult once a year around late summer and into autumn,

An adult bird can take upto around 10-12 wks, whereas youngsters normally 6-8 wks,

If you do decide to colour feed you only need to do it through the moult normally starting about 1 month beforehand as it takes a little time for the caraphyll red colour food to get into the birds system,
As the bird grows new feathers the colour is pushed through the quills of the new pin feathers and is how the feathers get the colour, the colour food is a powder and is mixed at a ratio with the birds drinking water normally mixing a few mls of colour to 1 litre of water or alternatively can also be mixed in with the egg food but to me this is not as effective.

Reason being that youngsters on there first moult do not moult fully, the flight ( wing ) and tail feathers remain until the following year hence why it doesn't take so long to moult as apposed to an adult bird.

A bird under 1 year old is known as unflighted and an adult is flighted,

On An adult flighted bird its flight ( wing ) feathers wil normally turn from white to a yellowish colour,

This is how we normally tells first year unflighted birds to an adult flighted bird :mrgreen:

sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by sskmaestro » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:36 pm

Stuart whiting wrote: Hi mate,

You don't have to Colour feed if you don't want to, your bird is known as a red ground bird, if you don't colour feed all that will happen is that the colour will not enhance as much each time the bird moults.

An adult bird can take upto around 10-12 wks, whereas youngsters normally 6-8 wks,

If you do decide to colour feed you only need to do it through the moult normally starting about 1 month beforehand as it takes a little time for the caraphyll red colour food to get into the birds system,
As the bird grows new feathers the colour is pushed through the quills of the new pin feathers and is how the feathers get the colour, the colour food is a powder and is mixed at a ratio with the birds drinking water normally mixing a few mls of colour to 1 litre of water or alternatively can also be mixed in with the egg food but to me this is not as effective.

Reason being that youngsters on there first moult do not moult fully, the flight ( wing ) and tail feathers remain until the following year hence why it doesn't take so long to moult as apposed to an adult bird.

On An adult flighted bird its flight ( wing ) feathers wil normally turn from white to a yellowish colour,

This is how we normally tells first year unflighted birds to an adult flighted bird :mrgreen:
Thats a lot of useful information my friend.... so thankful for you!!!

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:48 pm

sskmaestro wrote:
Stuart whiting wrote: Hi mate,

Thats a lot of useful information my friend.... so thankful for you!!!
No worries mate, yer most welcome :mrgreen:

sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by sskmaestro » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:23 pm

sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by sskmaestro » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:25 pm

sskmaestro