Male canary ill?

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Ryno2323
Pip
Pip

Male canary ill?

Post by Ryno2323 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:16 pm

I have a male Canary that appears to be ill. He has fluffed up feathers, spends most of his time at the bottom of the cage and is rather lethargic. He's eating & drinking, but not himself. It's been going on for a couple of days. Any suggestions to help him out? I've added some heat which he appears to like. There are no avian vets in the area so Im on my own.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: Male canary ill?

Post by lem2bert » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:12 pm

I am not a canary expert so I cannot help, but I saw you're post and just wanted you to know that I hope he gets better. :(
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:40 pm

Ryno2323 I just took on canaries a few days ago and am not, by any stretch of the imagination, an expert. I'm barely a novice. Out of the 23 I brought home on Wednesday, 2 were lethargic within a short period of time. Fluffed up feathers and one was falling to the side! :shock: I immediately removed them from the aviary and started them on vitamins and a high quality diet, which was probably the wrong thing to do...changing their diet and such. Sigh :-| They are both doing better but who knows why. I hope your guy feels better and I'm sure one of the canary experts will jump in soon to help.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi mate,

It's a little difficult to obviously say what the problem is without seeing the bird ,

However with the timing of the year it's possible that yer canary maybe just starting to go into a moult,

If this is the case it will last for upto 10-12 weeks and the bird will automatically quiten down,

It could also possibly be the fact that if the bird is kept indoors and not receiving enough fresh air and ventilation then the canary may go into a soft moult which is forcefied and unnatural, sometimes the bird can become stuck in the moult for quite some time and needs to have the required ventilation and regular bathing to try and condition it's feathers,

Lastly the chances are that it could be just a bit of a cold,
although canaries need adequate ventilation also check that the bird is not near any possible draughts from Windows and doors etc,

A draught can be the biggest killer to any bird,

More birds actually become ill and possibly die because of cold air movement ( draughts) then probably any other symptom