A doubt

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

A doubt

Post by sskmaestro » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:11 pm

Can we turn a yellow canary to red canary by feeding color food during Molt?

is this a trick breeders use to sell birds? or is it a fact?

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: A doubt

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:45 pm

I doubt it.
Apparently color feeding a yellow bird can give it a very slight orangish color but it won't become red.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:55 am

paul-inAZ wrote: I doubt it.
Apparently color feeding a yellow bird can give it a very slight orangish color but it won't become red.
Totally agree with you on that one Paul :-BD

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:21 am

Yes, Stuart and Paul. Canaries turn red IF they have the genetic ability to do so AND IF they are fed the coloring agent during the molt.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:19 am

Dave wrote: Yes, Stuart and Paul. Canaries turn red IF they have the genetic ability to do so AND IF they are fed the coloring agent during the molt.
sorry Dave but canaries don't just turn red by giving colour food,

You mention genetics,

Now......genetics are a massive when it comes to the new colour canary world and depends on what you actually mean by this,

If a bird is a non colour fed yellow ground bird it will definitely not go red just by giving colour food when the bird moults no matter how much colour you give it,
The bird will just simply go orange,

Look at all border, Fife, Norwich and Yorkshire canaries we have yellows and buffs, give caraphyll red to these birds and all of the yellow birds would go orange in colour whereas the buff birds would go a wishy washy salmon colour,

Only the Norwich and Yorkshires would in reality be colour fed for exhibition purposes as borders and fifes are not actually colour fed for exhibition.

Now.....if the bird in question is a new colour red ground bird then yes the birds will most certainly go red :-BD
Last edited by Stuart whiting on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:41 am

Hi Stuart,

That's not what I said. They have to have the gene to uses the coloring agent to produce red feathers, AND they have to be fed the coloring agent. I know that just feeding the coloring agent isn't enough to turn a canary red.

Or, as I've heard breeders say, the bird has to be Color Bred AND Color Fed.

Dave
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:46 am

Dave wrote: Hi Stuart,

That's not what I said. They have to have the gene to uses the coloring agent to produce red feathers, AND they have to be fed the coloring agent. I know that just feeding the coloring agent isn't enough to turn a canary red.

Or, as I've heard breeders say, the bird has to be Color Bred AND Color Fed.

Dave
Oh right, ok mate, oops cross wires #-o

Yes yer right in what you say :-BD