Brands of medications

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Brands of medications

Post by lem2bert » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:53 am

Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions about brands of medications.
Scatt by Vetafarm. ( 1 drop to birds on skin of thigh. Treats Scaly face and air sac mites. treat 3 to 4 times a year)
Bird wormer by Beaphar. (bird must weigh 12.5 grams in weight to give 1 drop directly or can be put in drinking water).
My birds were all treated for both before I purchased and now it has been about 4 months I need to do a treatment for scatt soon and want to order the meds. My birds are indoors so I am wondering do I need to do a preventative worming also or should I wait for signs of worms. Thank-you all for any help you can give me. :?: :)
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Brands of medications

Post by cindy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:28 am

It says the Scatt stays in the body for 21 days (moxidectin)... but not at full strength, this is an option you can over lap treatments to make sure you have stopped the cycle of the mites.... applying a drop to the back of the neck for a total of 3 treatments every 14 days... if you do this in quarantine you should not have to repeat this unless you add a bird with ASM or scaly mites and has not been treated with a preventative in quarantine (a bird can have this for 6 months to a yr before you start to see signs physically(feces of the mite, tassel foot) on the bird. Same with ASM when you hear the ticking the bird has had ASM for some time...bothe ASM and scaly mites are hard to get rid of)

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:59 am

If they were treated while in quarantine I wouldn't repeat either, scatt or a wormer unless you see signs of an infection.

Neither is a preventative but instead a treatment. If they don't have air sac mites or worms you are treating them for nothing.

Good luck
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:53 am

Cindy and Debbie, thank-you for your quick response. I have not seen signs of either so I guess I am ok. I do not want to overdose my birds on medications. Thank-you both again . :D

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:22 am

some of the treatments/preventative are done in quarantine so you do not need to constantly treat over and over again..... things like mites, cocci, internal parasites (not mites) and protozoa you may not see signs right away and not do preventatives in quarantine...add the bird to your flock and it is happily sharing what it carries or pass it onto young when they hatch...then you need to treat everyone that bird is with!

As mentioned prior you will not see signs of scaly mites or ASM until it is in the advanced stages.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:38 am

Cindy and Debbie, the only reason I was going to do it again is because I thought that you were suppose to treat every 3 or 4 months as a preventative. Glad I posted first before I applied. Thank-you again for all your help !! =D>