Deciding between Russian, American, and Waterslager

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!

Which canary has the softest song?

Waterslager
67%
American
No votes
Russian
No votes
Other
33%

Total votes: 3

CaliKiwi
Pip
Pip

Deciding between Russian, American, and Waterslager

Post by CaliKiwi » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:34 am

Hello!

Over the past year or so I've been looking into which canary breed to purchase to fill my home with its beautiful song. While all canary songs are beautiful in their own way, I have a quite acoustic home and somewhat sensitive ears, so I am trying to avoid the most loud or high pitched canary breeds. However, it's hard to get an idea from recordings just how loud a canary is, so I was hoping I could get some advice from you experts.

I think I have reduced my options to the Russian Singer, American Singer, or Belgian Waterslager. I decided against Spanish Timbrados, type canaries, and color canaries because I have heard they can be very loud. And even though the German Roller is supposed to be the quietest, I personally find the rolling noise is a bit grating to my ears. I also ruled out other finches because they are social and I would prefer to purchase just one bird.

My question is, which of the 3 do you feel is the least likely to hurt one's ears (in terms of loudness or pitch or repetitiveness). I find the Russian Singer's song the most beautiful because I like flute notes better than the roller notes, and I like the freedom with which they seem to sing. However, they do seem high pitched, so I'm worried that their song could sometimes be ear-ringing.

Thank you in advance for any advice or help! I hope I don't sound too picky, but as this is my first bird and I'm in it for the long run I want to make sure I get one that fits best!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Deciding between Russian, American, and Waterslager

Post by Sally » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:38 am

I can't help you with your choice, since I don't know anything aboiut canaries, but there are others here who should be able to help. I wanted to welcome you to the forum! If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to answer locale-specific questions later on.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:57 am

My favorite canary for song, hands-down, is the Timbrado, but I like the high pitched singers.

I have American singers and their songs are pretty but very artificial sounding to me, nothing like a wild songbird. They are still good all-around song canaries with a wide variety of notes, and a good one can combine all the traits of a variety of other canary breeds as they sing with both open and closed beak and can make a pretty impressive range of sound. Mine are not high-pitched in general but occasionally will strike a sheer rolling note mid-song.
~Dylan

~~~

jimenezl
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by jimenezl » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:33 pm

I thought Timbrados were the loudest canaries.
Two RC Cordon Bleu,

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:41 pm

German mountain Herts roller canary, the original proper song canary of the song canary world and its not a canary known for high pitched sounds, more so noted for its various sounds of rolls, bells, chuckles, flutes etc :mrgreen:

The original uk roller canary club still exists and still have exhibitions of singing roller canaries that are judged to the highest of standards :-BD

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:45 pm

Timbrados do have a loud exuberant song. I like mine.

The trouble with picking a named breed is the fallacy of assuming that every one of that breed are equally and uniformly good singers. As with anything else not all of a given breed be it birds or people are the same. Some sing better than their brethren and some are not very good at it. Thats why they have competitions.
Any individual can be a bit of a crap shoot.

Nothing wrong with a 'kitchen' canary. Don't dismiss that idea.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:46 pm

jimenezl

Yer not very far off the mark, definitely one of the worlds loudest :mrgreen:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:48 pm

paul-inAZ

Yep sure agree there, very tue :-BD

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:47 pm

paul-inAZ, I agree. Just having a pedigree and a good name isn't enough. My best-singing canary is a normal colored kitchen canary.

Buy from a breeder, and they'll help you get a good bird. A singing canary is a magical thing. I think once you hear them live, you'll be enchanted with whatever breed you get.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

CaliKiwi
Pip
Pip

Post by CaliKiwi » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:07 pm

Stuart whiting wrote: German mountain Herts roller canary ... noted for its various sounds of rolls, bells, chuckles, flutes etc :mrgreen:
In all the recordings I have heard of the German Roller, the canary seems to only sing one long roll. Is it true that they sing other notes as well?

CaliKiwi
Pip
Pip

Post by CaliKiwi » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:11 pm

Thank you all for your advice so far! I don't have any problems with purchasing a kitchen canary because I'm not really after a particular song standard. I had just heard that some breeds are definitely louder or more repetitive than others, and I am trying to avoid that.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:16 pm

CaliKiwi

Yes of course they do, watch em in competition on you tube :mrgreen:
Last edited by Stuart whiting on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:24 pm

It's all very well saying kitchen canary but in reality what does one regard as a kitchen canary, there ain't no such thing, is a big canary like a Norwich or tall like a Yorkshire or small like a Fife,

You'll notice that although there are a few canary breeds around the world that most of the famous and popular canary breeds are originated in England like : borders, fifes, Norwich, Yorkshires, glosters, Lancashire, lizards and London fancy etc,

These are all recognised and we'll know breeds,

What does a kitchen canary look like :roll:

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:39 pm

Stuart: for someone who has so much to say I would expect you to know the term 'kitchen canary'. It is a canary of mixed or indeterminate breed.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:48 pm

paul-inAZ wrote: Stuart: for someone who has so much to say I would expect you to know the term 'kitchen canary'. It is a canary of mixed or indeterminate breed.
So much to say =)) you might call it kitchen canary,.....I call em mongerals which ain't worth nothing, don't know of anyone who would in there right mind wanna breed misfit canaries :roll: