Does this cage look suitable?

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
CaliKiwi
Pip
Pip

Does this cage look suitable?

Post by CaliKiwi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:09 pm

I am on the lookout for a nice looking cage for a single canary.

I have read that the cages should be rectangular and at least 24 inches long. While I don't like to go with the bare minimum, my canary will have a lot of free flight time in my home.

With that said, does this cage look suitable? https://www.etsy.com/listing/451216838/ ... e_active_3

Thank you for any advice! I have been making a lot of posts here lately and getting lots of helpful replies :)

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Does this cage look suitable?

Post by Sheather » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:39 pm

This cage is beautiful and sufficient for one canary.
I keep my female in a 30 x 18 x 18 cage and my two males in 23 x 11 x 13 cages. The males get free-flight time out of cage a few times a week, while the female isn't as good about finding her way back to hers, so she gets out less - thus her getting the bigger home.
~Dylan

~~~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:49 pm

Beautiful cage, but pricey! I wonder how hard it would be to keep clean?
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

CaliKiwi
Pip
Pip

Post by CaliKiwi » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:21 am

Sally

I wonder the same thing. The wood looks well-sealed and hopefully I can fit some protective sheets in the tray.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:28 am

Hi mate,

I can't really see any problem with the cage, easily big enough, could probably keep a pair in there if need be of the small variety canaries :mrgreen:

Should be easy enough to clean with the use of the bottom slide draw :D

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:25 am

calikiwi

Beautiful cage !! I let my canaries bathe inside their cage and it can get quite wet. Something you might want to consider. I also find poop easier to clean off the metal cage than the wooden perches. But that cage is beautiful !!!
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:45 am

Calikiwi I love that cage it is beautiful,I would love to own one myself.I love the seed tray in this cage.I think your canary would love his upscale home.I can't wait to see pictures
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:32 pm

I love it, love that food drawer!!!!

We see handmade wooden cages at some of the shows.... know a few people that make. So tempting!!!!

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

CaliKiwi
Pip
Pip

Post by CaliKiwi » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Thank you all for the advice! I'm glad to hear that the cage meets general approval as I would have had a hard time looking past this cage =D>.

I contacted the person who makes the cages, and they said they would have some of the same design but a bit larger within the next 2 months so I might wait out for that.

Thanks again all!

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:29 am

Calikiwi----I am glad you posted a picture of that cage I am thinking of geting one too,glad to hear he will have more in a few mths
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:09 am

This is probably one of the best hand crafted cages on the market. I like the natural solid oak look and and the peaked roof design. I also like the swing and the unusual narrow seed tray that will make it easier to keep your seed and fresh veggies (on one end) clean. I might add a piece of glass to the outside to keep the seed hulls from going overboard. The big, low door offers great for cleaning, changing bath water and for flight time. The birds will tend to fly up and not out. I would use bird gravel or a good quality shelf paper on the floor and install a water device on the outside for easy maintenance and maybe add some artificial plants as "safe' roosting places and a greener look.

The main thing i would consider is buying a pair of high-end canaries to go with this great display space. Keeping a single bird always bothered me for some reason and for me, my 2 month breeding season is the most fascinating and rewarding part of keeping birds. I'm not into increasing my numbers so to keep things under control I simply remove the nests and materials after one round to end it for that year, This cage could easily handle mom, dad and some fledglings for a few months while you place the babies in another home like yours.

Nice choice!

Paul
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:36 pm

correction to above post:

...big door offers great access for cleaning, changing bath water.....
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Paul's Amazing Birds wrote: correction to above post:

...big door offers great access for cleaning, changing bath water.....
Totally agree Paul,

This I've taken into consideration when I build all of me cages and am quite critical on the cage fronts and the size of the doors for that very reason :mrgreen:

I've always liked to give my birds the opitunity to bath every day if need be :-BD

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:37 am

If two birds can be kept together, it's better for them, but not all canaries will tolerate a companion. Males will often really beat up females if their reproductive cycle is not exactly linked and sometimes if they are. Aggression is tied to their mating instinct, and as caged canaries are often raised alone and may not get to develop natural social skills they are not always socially competent if later moved in with other birds. Usually this means they are overly aggressive with their mates or offspring.

Red factors are supposedly less aggressive among one another than the other canary types. I would not keep two American Singers of any gender permanently together.
~Dylan

~~~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:29 am

Sheather wrote: If two birds can be kept together, it's better for them, but not all canaries will tolerate a companion. Males will often really beat up females if their reproductive cycle is not exactly linked and sometimes if they are. Aggression is tied to their mating instinct, and as caged canaries are often raised alone and may not get to develop natural social skills they are not always socially competent if later moved in with other birds. Usually this means they are overly aggressive with their mates or offspring.

Red factors are supposedly less aggressive among one another than the other canary types. I would not keep two American Singers of any gender permanently together.
Hi mate,

Personally I think you've perhaps been misled of saying that red factors are not normally as aggressive compared to other type canaries,

Of all the new colour/ red factor canaries that I've had over the years when breeding various mules etc aswell as other breeds of canaries they've all shown some pretty serious aggression,

In fairness most canary cocks will all show similar aggression regardless of what canary breeds they are,

I used to breed and exhibit Yorkshire canaries probably for over 20 years and used the red factors as feeders during all this time,

A lot of the time the factors used to try and bully me Yorkshire canaries which were literally twice the size of the factor canaries