My two new canaries

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: My two new canaries

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:31 am

artgecko

Hi there, you will have to bare in mind that I'm from England and the tree that you mention I'm obviously not gonna be that familiar with,

If you've done some research about these trees and appear to be safe then that should be fine,

As regards to drying out the branches then absolutely not, birds in the wild don't wait for branches to go dead :mrgreen:

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:59 am

artgecko

this is the swing my canaries love, found it on amazon for about $8.00.
DSCN2056.JPG
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:15 pm

sheather- Thanks! I think these are so skittish because they were housed in an aviary without any handling. They are already calming down a little, and don't spook as easily when I have to open the cage door. I've seen the male hopping around some and attempting to fly to his swing, but he seems clumsy for lack of a better word.

lem2bert- Thanks for the pic! I will look for that one online. I put a normal swing in their cage today, but haven't seen them use it yet.

I gave the canaries some fresh cilantro today and they devoured that as well. The budgies haven't touched theirs though.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:53 pm

artgecko

I had a wooden perch swings in my cages but none of my birds like to use those either. They use the swing in the picture I posted all the time !!
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:51 pm

The canaries continue to be little pigs.. They ate an entire stem of fresh basil today including the stem itself and they tore into the sprouted seed I gave them. (my budgies touched neither food). I took a few pics while they were tucking into their seed this evening.

This one shows how long the pied hen's nails are.. I will have to attempt trimming them once my catch net comes in.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:31 am

artgecko

Hi mate,

Yer canaries appear to be doing ok,

I must remind you that when classifying canaries there is actually no such description as pied, the bird in question is a buff variegated and yer other bird is a buff clear :mrgreen:

The term pied is used to classify certain species of finch, softbills, budgies and parakeets ( hook bills ) :-BD

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:20 am

Stuart- Thanks for the terminology... I'm used to rats as well (where we use the term variegated) but had heard pied used with other similar birds and thought that was used in canaries too.

I am surprised she is a "buff" though, since there is so much yellow. I understand the "clear" part since her flight feathers and some other feathers appear translucent.

Do you know of a visual reference online for canary colors / descriptions that I could look at? I've been on several canary club websites but haven't found any such reference.

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:36 am

As a child, my canary spent 14 years eating dandelion leaves, baby carrots (those mini ones you don't have to peel. Just place next to perch with clothespin, not grated), apple slices, standard canary seed mix, and a variety of greens as mentioned above. He loved his millet spray treats as well!