Question about diet percentages

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
artgecko
Mature
Mature

Question about diet percentages

Post by artgecko » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:18 am

Hello guys,
I am back again with a question about my canaries' diet. I finally got my Abba seed in the mail, so my canaries are now getting 2 teaspoons of that per bird per day (with a little of the finch mix put in for variety). I have also been dusting their seed with probiotics. They also get veggies every day... I alternate between shredded veggies (kale, carrot, raddish, etc.) and fresh herbs (basil, cilantro). They get about 1 ice-cube's worth of the shredded veggies (~2 tsp.) or a sprig of the fresh herbs per bird. I dust the shredded veggies with calcium d3 powder, multi-vitamin powder, and toss in some dry egg food mix to dry it up some.

In addition to the above, I've been sprouting seeds for them and giving them some every day (about 1-2 tsp. total per day). I have either been giving it to them by itself or combining it with the shredded veggies. They also have access to crushed egg shell and cuttlebone on a daily basis.

To summerize, each bird gets: 2tsp. dry seed, 1/2-1 tsp sprouted seed, and 1tsp fresh veggies / herbs daily. Dry egg food mix and vitamin / mineral powder given every-other-day with shredded herbs.

Does this sound like a good ratio? I haven't had any problems with diarrhea and the canaries seem to consume every scrap of everything they are given save a small amount of dry seed will be left and I have to discard it with the hulls each day.

If you think I need to cut back on anything or add anything, please let me know. My main concern is them getting enough nutrients / vitamins from their seed, veggies, and sprouts until I can start adding something like a fortified crumble that will help fill in the gaps of any missing nutrients. I am not supplementing their protein (no actual cooked egg) because they are not molting or breeding. If that is something that I need to do, I can, but from my reading I understood it not to be necessary unless they are breeding or molting.

Thank you for your time and help!

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Question about diet percentages

Post by Dave » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:47 pm

I've never measured why my canaries get per day. I just provide seed + greens + water + mineral mix + boiled egg + sunflower chips. The theory is that the birds eat whatever they want when they need it. My job is just to make sure they don't run out.

I don't know if 'let them choose' is right or wrong, but it has worked for me for quite a few years. I'd love to hear what others think about this.

Once I put many varieties of seed + greens + boiled egg is separate dishes. It was in 12 or 14 separate dishes. This was in an aviary. A male canary that was feeding chicks went over and took something from every dish, one bit of food after another. Over and over again.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:29 pm

Dave- Thanks for your input! I'm hoping that they will monitor their own diet and not overeat... My main concern is if I am neglecting something that I should add.

You must be doing something right if your birds have been doing well for you for several years. :)

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:53 pm

You guys are not neglecting anything...Just relax and enjoy your birds as they pick through the huge menu you offer them. I always think that my main job is to spoil my birds in whatever ways I can think of.

P
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:01 am

Absolutely agree with Paul's Amazing Birds
Enjoy!
best of luck
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:34 am

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving them too much of something or not enough of something else. :)

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:44 am

you should keep a supply of seed out for them either in a cup or dish...often birds will want more of something than other days...they may desire seed over veggies one day or visa versa... your veggies are considered supplements in the diet (veggies are basically 80 to 90% water, feeding too much veggies over seed can cause in some situations malnutrition in the birds), seed and a good vitamin mineral source like pellets or a powdered supplement used as directed should be you base and main source.

Sprouted seeds triple the nutritional value of your seeds. do not let the tails get to long, the most nutrition is when the little tail of the sprout starts to show.

Egg is a very complete vitamin/mineral source as well...either fresh boiled grated or commercial dried egg food

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:37 am

you extra foods sound great... you could provide an unlimited seed amount to your birds via a seed hopper, it also collects the hulls and saves on keeping them from scattering the food all about!!!

~ My Facebook groups ~

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:10 pm

Cindy,
Any pics of the type hopper you use? Mine are good but they still need catch trays.

P
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Cindy- Thanks! I had read somewhere (can't remember source...either here or in finch articles or on a budgie forum) that the birds need 2tsp per bird per day of seed and that dry pelleted food or powdered diet (mixed into a mash) should be their main food available all day. This source stated that seeds are not as nutritionally sound as a prepared diet and the birds will eat the seed rather than the prepared diet if given the option. This may be more of a budgie thing though... as I can't remember where I read the article.

If giving them unlimited seed is fine, then I will provide them with more than I have been giving.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:40 pm

SEED HOPPERS!!
Attachments
seed hopper and cup.jpg
avairy seed hoppers.jpg
owl seed hopper.jpg
owl seed hopper.jpg (32.3 KiB) Viewed 1255 times

~ My Facebook groups ~