Length of time for lights

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Nipper06
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Re: Length of time for lights

Post by Nipper06 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:45 pm

You have a beautiful set up there! Canaries must love it !! Are they permanently loose in there or do they return to their cages at night. Mine mostly all go back to their cages.
Ron

My Pets: 2 Java Sparrows, 1 Canary, 4 Gouldian Finches, 1 Green Singer, 2 Ringneck Doves, 1 Budgie, 2 Rosy Bourke Parakeets, and 1 Mixed-breed Terrier

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:35 pm

Sheather wrote: But when do they molt?
I asked.
They can do it randomly at any time if the year.
Some even molt twice a year.

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:07 am

Thanks Ron!
During the off-breeding season, a lot of my birds like the privacy of a sleep station at night.
sleep station 1.jpg
They think they're all alone but in reality, roosting about 1/2" away or less from the next guy.
Sleep Station 2.JPG

W.j,

Molting twice a year must be really stressful on the bird and a breeding season that lasts more than a few months can really limit a canaries life span.
In my case, I withhold the nest material and nests until March. They're so intent on nesting at that point that they move into their private apartments on their own. I usually end their breeding season with the last clutch in June no matter how much they want to continue raising babies...or how valuable their babies are to me.
P
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:31 am

Yeah, I am sure that's the price canaries here pay for living in ethernal summer of 12 hours daylight and 22-32 C temperature year-round.
As long as they live, they look perfectly healthy though.
As I've never kept any myself, I can't give more details though.

Molting twice a year is the norm for many (most? all?) local species here, so maybe the canaries just "go native"! :-)