Volume of Male vs Female Canary

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Lightbulb
Pip
Pip

Volume of Male vs Female Canary

Post by Lightbulb » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:25 am

Hello everyone! This is my first post in this wonderful forum.

I currently own on female American Singer Canary. I would like to know: if you take one female canary and one male canary if the same breed, are their calls and chirps about the same volume? (Just referring to their calls, not the male's song).

I ask because I am going to purchase either a male German Roller or a male American Singer to place in a separate cage across the living room from the female and I'm trying to gauge how loud they will be when together in the same room. I've also wondered if my female will overpower the song of the Roller?

Their names will be Albert and Victoria. :-)

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Re: Volume of Male vs Female Canary

Post by GouldianGuy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Very classy Victorian names you've got there

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:54 pm

Lightbulb

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

As for chirping, the male and female are usually pretty equal.

However....your male, (if you get an American Singer) will be doing very little chirping, especially with a female anywhere near. He will be singing his head off. You'll be able to hear him all over the house :- :- :- :-

If you get a true German Roller, his song should be somewhat softer.

Here is a link that may give you an idea, although the American Singer on here has a relatively soft song compared to most American Singers. You can also check on line, for videos of Canaries singing, some are quite lovely singers.

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/songcanaries.html

Let us know what you decide.

Good luck :)
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Lightbulb
Pip
Pip

Post by Lightbulb » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:48 pm

Thank you for the compliment GouldianGuy.

Thank you for the info lovezebs. Does the volume of chirps differ across breeds (i.e. is the chirp of an American Singer louder than a Roller).

Is the American Singer that loud?! :shock: I thought they were bred to be " not too loud and not too soft" such that you could carry on conversation in the same room without having to raise your voice.

Thanks again. :-)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:33 pm

Lightbulb

The chirping, is not what you need to be concerned with, lol.

Your boy, will sing from sunrise to sunset, other than during the period when he's moulting (at which point, he will sit all miserable and voiceless :( ).

The Singing of the American, varies from bird to bird. Some are more like the guy in the video, and some can be VERY loud. This is something you'll have to discuss with the breeder (if you're planning on getting your bird from a breeder).

I have 4 boys and 1girl in my birdroom (a Father, and his 4 children), and there are days when they get so loud, that you can hardly hear yourself think in the living room, which is past the guest bedroom and down the hallway.
Attachments
1431713402762_1.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Lightbulb
Pip
Pip

Re: Volume of Male vs Female Canary.

Post by Lightbulb » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:08 pm

Beautiful birds. Out if curiousity, are they registered American Singers?
Perhaps that makes a difference in terms of keeping to the original breeding plan, i. e. percentage Roller/Birder.

That's not a knock against unregistered Americans, I'm just curious. :-)

Lightbulb
Pip
Pip

Post by Lightbulb » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:27 pm

*makes a difference in volume.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:59 pm

Lightbulb

You should check out some videos of Russian Canaries flute singing. I just came across them,cand they are quite amazing.

Regarding my kids, no, they are not registered, just happy singers.
~Elana~

Lightbulb
Pip
Pip

Post by Lightbulb » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Russian Singers are really incredible. I hope we see more of them in the US. :-)

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Lightbulb

Just catching up with this thread, and I wanted to welcome you to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com. Most of the articles are about finches, but there is some overlap with canaries. If you put your general location in your profile, it will make it easier for members to direct you where to get supplies, etc.

I am going to move this thread to the All Things Canary forum, so that other canary owners may see it easier and be able to help you with your questions.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Maleficum
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Maleficum » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:41 pm

I have a Parisian frill male and he sings loud! Almost louder then my Waterslager I had many years ago. My brother have gotten problems with his hearing when my niece was born (she is louder than my brothers parrot when she cry) and he can't be in the same room when my frill is singing because it hurts his ears.
I didn't think a frill would sing louder and more intense than a singing breed.
Deviantart <-- Drawings, Photos, Porcelain painting.

Instagram <-- Follow my blind rabbit on Instagram.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:34 pm

Maleficum

Some of these guys can be heared all the way down the street :lol:

The Italian breeder from whom I got my Luciano, had all sorts of different Canary mutations in his collection. He had an aviary in his garage, and an outside aviary attached to the garage as well.

Now when his next door neigbor sold his property, the people who bought it, decided to build a small apartment building on the land. Even with all the construction going on, you could still hear the Canaries loud and clear. The construction workers, used to sit and eat their lunch and listen to all the birds singing.

So yes, some of these birdlings, have a VERY loud song :D

Have you had the opportunity to hear some of the Russian flute singing Canaries, which I mentioned to Lightbulb up above??? They are amazing.
~Elana~

Lightbulb
Pip
Pip

Post by Lightbulb » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:06 pm

Yes, I think I've watched every YouTube video with a Russian in it. It has a fantastic song, I only which it was easier to find reputable dealers. If you run this through Google Translate, it has some interesting, in-depth articles on Russian Canaries. http://rus-canary.ru

Chihuahua
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Chihuahua » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:32 pm

You all need to spend a few minutes in the same room as an angry sun conure :shock:
Toby

2 pied societies (one crested)
2 adult beetles
4 beetle larvae
1 papillon
1 chihuahua mix

My mom also has two budgies and a dachshund puppy

Maleficum
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Maleficum » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:44 am

Chihuahua wrote: You all need to spend a few minutes in the same room as an angry sun conure :shock:
Sadly I think my niece is worse, even if you put your fingers in your ears you still get tinnitus ringing in them for the rest of the day after she got one of her crying fits (and she's been that loud sins birth, even the midwives had never heard a baby cry that load). At our summer place I could hear her in the nights even when we slept in two different houses.

(When I went to secondary school/high school (we use different school system but think that is almost the same) I worked in the bird room some times so I know how noise birds can get, they have all kinds of parrots from small Meyer´s parrots and middle sized parakeets to larger birds like Macaws, Amazon parrots and Cockatoos).
Deviantart <-- Drawings, Photos, Porcelain painting.

Instagram <-- Follow my blind rabbit on Instagram.