Can Waterslager be near another canary?

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Lightbulb
Pip
Pip

Can Waterslager be near another canary?

Post by Lightbulb » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:57 am

I've read in a number of places that Waterslagers need to be kept away from other canary breeds or it will ruin their song. I have an American singer female who just chirps all day long. Do you think that would ruin the Waterslager song or would he be OK with her present in the room as well?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Can Waterslager be near another canary?

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:55 pm

Lightbulb

Seeing as your other Canary is a female, it should not cause any issues whatsover (females don't sing anyway (they chirp), other than a very tiny percentage, and their song is negligible compared to that of male ).

Waterslagers, are usually kept away from other Canaries, due to the fact that some of them tend to be very territorial and aggressive with other Canaries. Some of them don't really like people much either from what I've heared.

It is usually recommended not to keep male Canaries of any mutation together in one cage, unless you have a very large flight or an aviary. Most of the time, they can co-exist together with only minor squables, but during breeding season, they can get quite nasty with one another.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Can Waterslager be near another canary?

Post by Dave » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:32 pm

If your concern is about a male canary picking up song from another breed---

There is some research that says young canary males will copy sounds that they hear. But, as they mature into adults, they revert to their genetic song.

If that is true (and I trust the research) then different breeds of male canaries could be in the same room. But as lovezebs says, in separate cages.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries