canary breeding condition

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
MrBrittsBirds
Pip
Pip

canary breeding condition

Post by MrBrittsBirds » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:02 am

iv got a hen canary , the last couple days shes begun to flap her wings very fast and hop around the perches in her cage , she is in a cage net to a male .she started playing with nesting material but hasn't built a nest , she makes very quiet chirping sounds and sits near male bird . should i wait till she builds a nest or can i introduce them now ?
they where kept together before ( 2 weeks ago ) but they where fighting , now she may be in condition ?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: canary breeding condition

Post by lovezebs » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:00 am

MrBrittsBirds

I would offer them a nest, and offer extra nesting materials on the side.
Also offer hard boiled eggs, along with lots of fresh greens.

You should see your girl begining to beg like a baby chick, and the male feeding her through the bars of the cage.

At that point, they are usually ready to get busy and begin a family.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:05 pm

MrBrittsBirds, how many hours of light does the hen receive per day? Just curious.

If the hens and males are housed together, meaning they receive the same number of hours of light per day, it may be that the hen is ready to nest but the male isn't. The first round of eggs may be clear. That is not a hard and fast rule, but is often the case.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

MrBrittsBirds
Pip
Pip

Post by MrBrittsBirds » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:46 am

hi i have the pair together now and they are constantly feeding each other but there is no progress in making the nest , i have put a nest bowl and material . i got them on 13.5 - 14 hrs of light

jonvill
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by jonvill » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:32 pm

IMO It's too early for canary breeding season.
Wait until the end of February or March to begin.