Tips for giving away and/or selling excess birds

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Lightbulb
Pip
Pip

Tips for giving away and/or selling excess birds

Post by Lightbulb » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:52 am

I am interested in trying my hand at breeding Canaries but I want to give away and/or sell the birds that are bred. Do you have any tips beyond advertising in the newspaper? How do you find homes for your excess birds?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Tips for giving away and/or selling excess birds

Post by Sally » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:16 am

If there are marts in your area, you can always get a table and try your luck at selling. If you advertise on places like craigslist, meet at a safe place. Also don't say you will give them away as the snake people are looking for free food.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:46 am

Sally has some good suggestions. I second not advertising birds for free, as you will attract all the reptile owners :(
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:45 am

Lightbulb

If you have a Pet Shop (s) in your area, you could talk to the manager, and see if they will buy your Canary babies.

You could also place notices in Vet's offices around your city.

Be aware however, that most people want male Canaries for singing, not females.

It is always a good idea to first find out if there is a market for your extra birds, before starting to breed, or you might find yourself up to your ears in babies, with no where to place them.

Also, Sally is right about offering 'birds for free', there are people out there who will gladly take your babies and feed them to their other pets.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:16 pm

It could help with more specific advice if you put your location into your profile.

Lightbulb
Pip
Pip

Post by Lightbulb » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Yikes. Thanks for the heads up re: the snake folks looking for free snake food.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Lightbulb

Yea, the first time I heard that, it made the hair on my head stick up a little too.

When I mentioned it to a lady who wanted to give away a free Budgie, she looked at me as if I was some sort of a freak nut job.

It's similar to the woman, who was 'rescuing' dogs, only to turn around and use them as fighting dogs or bait dogs in dog fights .....

Some people have no heart :(
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:12 am

I agree with others... See if there is a local show you could sell at, also, look at your local CL, etc. and see if there are a lot of birds listed that just "sit there" for a long time with no takers. Also checking to see if there's a local bird club could help.. Some of them have auctions, etc. and they might be interested.

I agree about asking an adoption fee..This is a good practice no matter what animal you are adopting out. I keep snakes (have 10 at the moment) and although "reputable" keepers don't pretend to adopt pets and then use them as food...There are scumbags in every hobby / field and I wouldn't put it past some people.