New to Breeding Canaries

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

New to Breeding Canaries

Post by slwatson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:17 pm

I'm very new to breeding canaries...I've got three pairs I'm trying to breed now. Each pair is in a cage with a divider. I gradually increased the lighting, increased the temperatures, and put a nest with nesting material on the hen's side. I've been giving egg food, seed, and occasionally greens, with clean water always available. I have one pair that's already in breeding mode...I moved the male over to the hen's side, and she's now in her nest at all times.

My 2nd pair is still separate because the hen hasn't started building her nest and I haven't heard any singing from the male.

My 3rd pair is the one having problems....the male started singing a louder, harsher song to her, and she started sitting in the nest, so I recently put them together. He keeps singing to her, but she now isn't showing any interest in the nest or breeding. I even noticed he was kind of chasing her yesterday to breed, but he did not aggressively pursue her when she flew away.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you!!!!
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: New to Breeding Canaries

Post by Sheather » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:10 pm

It's usually best to wait until middle March when the canaries come into breeding condition naturally, otherwise you often get pairs that don't line up their cycles right. Females usually take longer than males. I would separate the 3rd pair again and wait a bit longer to see if their behavior changes. You want to see the male feed the female and not to provide the hen nest until he's doing so or the female might go to nest without ever mating.

Then you can put the nest in and put the pair together. They will already be bonded and will usually mate then.

A male that isn't singing at this time of year is very unusual, and I would wonder if it's not actually a male.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:17 pm

slwatson

Hi Stacie,

Maybe they just don't like each other :roll: :wink:

It does happen sometimes.

I would seperate them again, and try again when she starts showing interest in nest building. Do you happen to know how old she is?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:32 am

Sheather

Thanks Dylan! I'll separate again and give them more time.
Stacie

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:37 am

lovezebs

I'm going to separate them again for sure.....they're SO cute.

Here's a pic of the pair that actually seems to be doing well. Only time will tell if she lays fertile eggs. It's so hard to watch for him feeding her when I have to leave for work...wish I could take them with me. The male was not very happy with me taking their picture. He was very protective of her.

I'm not sure how old the female is...I need to check with the breeder and verify it.
Attachments
20170124_070704.jpg
20170124_070617.jpg
Stacie