Feather Cysts

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Feather Cysts

Post by Shannylee » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:28 pm

I have a canary chick with pretty severe feather cysts. He fledged about a week ago and has since developed a big feather cyst on the back of his head, small ones around his beak, and another painful looking one on his right wing.

My canaries are in an outdoor aviary in Central FL. Don't know their breed. I call them "kitchen canaries". Mom has white edges on her wings (frosted) but I'm not sure which male is the dad. Regardless, none of my males appear to have white coloring. This clutch resulted in one dead in the nest, one that the mom stopped feeding after a week that died, and two chicks with really bad feather cysts. The smallest chick died this evening.

I'm not sure how to help the remaining chick. I pulled him out of the aviary and have him under a heat lamp. I am putting bacitracin on his cysts. He is taking hand-feeding formula from an eye dropper but is old enough to eat on his own too. I'm at a loss. Could this be nutritional, white + white mom and dad, environmental?? I have 2 other chicks that fledged 2 days ago and they are doing awesome. Flying all over, great feather condition, and look super healthy.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Feather Cysts

Post by lovezebs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:19 am

Shannylee

Hi Sharon,

A feather cyst, is basically similar to an ingrown hair that gets infected and can't break through the skin. They can be quite painful to the bird.

In some birds, they can dry up and fall off in time, but usually they have to be surgically removed. That said, these birds tend to get them again and again.

There are two schools of thought.
Some claim that they are due to dietary deficiencies.
Others claim that it is genetic.

In Canaries, some breeders say, that it has to do with the soft feathered mutations.

It is not recommended to breed birds with this problem, or birds who produce young with this problem.

And so....
I would keep this baby comfortable.
You could try to take him to an Avian Vet, and have these things removed, but there are no guarantees :( .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:19 am

Shannylee, one feather cyst can be repaired. That many means you should put the bird down. And don't use that hen again.

I wonder if Parisian Frills get feather cysts? Or if they even get them. They look like they'd get them. I know of a Parisian Frill breeder near me, and I'll ask.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:53 pm

Could the parents be closely related? The bird deserves the chance to live. No one knows what the out come will be.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:20 am

It's my understanding that these are painful for the bird, and chronic. Sure our pets "deserve a chance to live", but forcing them to live in pain changes the equation rather drastically.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:42 pm

It is not for humans to decide who lives or dies. The bird would choose life. I never heard of an animal commiting suicide. No one knows the out come. Even vets and doctors are wrong many times.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:47 pm

Shannylee

Hi Sharon,

How is the baby doing?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:33 pm

Dave, thanks for the info.

Neither chick survived. :( They seemed to have feather cysts and other issues. The smallest one never developed beyond a 4 week old chick and they were 6 weeks old. Strange. I'm in the process of screening my aviary in case it was mosquito/spider borne. The other 2 chicks (from different parents) are doing great and another pair is feeding 3 chicks.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:39 pm

lovezebs, neither survived. :( So weird. I've had chicks go down before but I've never seen anything like this. Lumps and bumps all over these chicks yet I have 2 other chicks (from a different pair) that are perfectly healthy. They are all in the aviary so they live in the same environment. Same food. Same water. Same exposure. Clutch of 4...all dead but 2 very healthy chicks and a pair feeding week old chicks that seem to be healthy too.
~Sharon

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:38 am

Shannylee

So sorry about the babies Sharon.

Might be some sort of a genetic thing.
I wouldn't breed that pair again if I were you.
~Elana~