Sick, need info/ideas

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Kittengames
Pip
Pip

Sick, need info/ideas

Post by Kittengames » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:05 am

so a friend of mine brought home some canaries(red factor,gloster and domestic canary) a wee bit ago and they were not in the best health, she has taken them to the vet and is currently running them through oral ivermectin treatments but the vet has no idea whats wrong with them either.
she started with 5, one has passed away, they are all being quarantined and medicated.
Symptoms seem to be(As she sent to me)

Puffed up feathers, drooping wings,heavy breathing(only near the end but not gasping for breathe), bobbing tail feathers, inactivity and sleeping lots, but eating and drinking regularly.
No song or Verbiage.
Started Molting really badly today, white flakes on the bird stand and in their water baths.

Any ideas on either what might be going on or what might be tried to help would be very greatly appreciated.

AvianMan
Pip
Pip

Re: Sick, need info/ideas

Post by AvianMan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:57 am

I assume the vet didn't take any blood tests? It sounds more like a bug than a nutritional deficiency, probably exacerbated by the molt. Ivermec is a good broad spectrum antibiotic that should help if they get their dosage. Unfortunately the symptoms are those of just about any sick bird :( The fact that they are eating is hopeful. The question is whether or not it is viral, in which case it would need to run it's course.

Where did she get the birds? That might give some clues.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." - Dalai Lama

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:40 am

Kittengames

Did you ever find out what was wrong with them?
Did any survive?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Kittengames
Pip
Pip

Post by Kittengames » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:47 pm

She only ended up losing the one...the other one that was showing any symptoms ended up bein overwhelmed by feat her cysts. We were able to get most of them and he is healing and happy and he will need to be seen to on a regular basis for the cysts.

Kittengames
Pip
Pip

Post by Kittengames » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:49 pm

Vet swabbed everyone but no bloodwork.
They came from just a guy who didn't want birds anymore...

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Kittengames

Well, I'm sad that she lost the one, but I'm happy that the others survived and hopefully are doing well (other than the one poor soul with the feather cysts, which tends to be a lifelong condition with some birds).

Glad you had a Vet handy to help deal with whatever was wrong with them.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~