Meet Milo

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Sheather
Proven
Proven

Meet Milo

Post by Sheather » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:04 pm

I really need to stop going to pet stores... but my hen just seemed so lonesome begging for food and trying to nest next to the mirror in her cage, she needed some company of her own kind. Yes, that's it. She needed this new guy! :roll:

I sold most of my canaries when I moved. I didn't really have to, but it seemed like the best thing to do at the time because where I would be living was up in the air for a bit. Things are more settled again now, albeit in a smaller space, and well.. I saw this guy and splurged.

~Dylan

~~~

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Re: Meet Milo

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:38 pm

My goodness, he is astonishing beautiful :-O

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:36 am

gorgeous bird

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:39 pm

Sheather

Dylan, he is gorgeous!!!

I had the opportunity to pick up a fledgling yesterday very similar, but I don't like to colour feed, and so...
I could have had a Lizzard, a Timbrado, a Honso, a Parisian Frill, a Scottish Fancy, a Razza..... but walked away with Socies and Zebras, sigh.... He does have a girlie like your Maggie <3 that he's just set up to breed, so maybe in the future.....

Your girlie is going to be so in love, unless she's bonded with the mirror, lol.
This boy, is really stunning.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:42 pm

Milo is beautiful. I love canaries, wish I owned some.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:34 pm

lovezebs I took away her mirror, because she was so in love with it, a couple days before I was planning to "just go look" and see what type of canaries the local pet and garden center had. So when she laid eyes on Milo, she was very interested.

I introduced them loose in the room, and they, er, consummated their relationship almost immediately.

Hoping for some very unique looking orange crested babies now. :)

Oh you should have gotten a Timbrado Elana. They are my very favorite. Maggie is a Timbrado cross and her brother had the most lovely, enthusiastic (but very very loud!) song.

Milo's song is a little less intense, and so far he's sung just a few times early in the morning. Which is fine by me, as we don't want to be too noisy with the rest of the family who aren't bird people.
~Dylan

~~~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:28 pm

Sheather

Milo is gorgeous !!! I am sure your little Maggie is going to love this handsome fellow !!! :)
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:08 pm

lovezebs what natural foods do you give your canaries to keep them orange? in addition to the red factor egg food I bought I'm also trying to offer a wide variety of natural vegetables to Milo and Maggie that could help their color.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Sheather

Hi Dylan,

I actually broke down and bought some red egg food (was on sale) to see what it will do, but don't tell anyone ( :x ).

As in regards to natural sources of redness....

Beet greens with the stalks, grated beets, red swiss chard, red peppers, raspberries, grated carrots, red grapes, cherries, boiled sweet potato....

However, it will not offer you that real red that the Red Food does.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

JillM
Nestling
Nestling

Post by JillM » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:15 am

So beautiful!
Jill M
4 Society Finches

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:29 am

Browsing on Forum and saw pictures of your gorgeous canary. Have a few Canary 101 questions: Are they fairly hardy finches; personalities/interactive with people? Messy? I've had Societies and Budgies. My Societies were messier than my Budgies but my Budgies were good travelers (cage in backseat of car with seatbelt- no problems). However, when away visiting family, I had to find a neighbor to come in or board my Societies- got to be too much so had to rehome them couple years ago.
Starting to get the 'birdie-itch' again...wondering about canaries as a possibility.
thanks
FinchLady

PS Husband liked soft chirps of finches more than Budgie screeches. I love Budgie chatter & Society chirps. He also thought finch poops were messier than budgies. (so nobody is perfect) lol

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Canaries are easy keepers. Their main difference from other birds is a sensitivity to day length. They need to have short days in winter, building to long summer days, like the outside day length in northern climates. Without it, they don't molt properly, and may not sing. Cover them when the sun goes down, or if they're on artificial light, keep them on timers and vary the day length to match the outside.

Some can be very personable. They are easier to tame than other finches as far as eating from your hand, but much more nervous than parakeets. It will still take a long time. Sometimes a canary will trust you enough to land on your shoulder or your head, or your body when you are laying down, but don't expect a pet which steps up and wants to play. Hand-fed birds can sometimes be this way, but I've done this and found even they were very hard to keep finger-tame when around other birds.

I found they do fine in the car. They'll peep and hop around and eat and drink. Canaries are so domesticated, they adjust quickly to new situations and don't frighten easily.

They are very good eaters and will enjoy almost any fruit or vegetable you offer too, so good to show other less curious birds how to eat a healthier diet. Given a choice, canaries will eat more fresh food than seed, and it isn't unhealthy for them to do so. Though seed-eating birds, they are true vegetarians and will devour most parts of most plants - keep them away from any toxic houseplants (though mine won't bother potted plants if a tastier vegetable is available.)

My canaries are messier than my finches. Their droppings are larger and wetter. However, I feed a lot of fruits and leafy greens.

I find they are quiet except when the male sings. A male kept alone will sing constantly. So far my male sings just a few times a day and is otherwise almost silent. This seems normal for males housed with females - no need to call out for a mate.
~Dylan

~~~

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:11 pm

Thank you, Dylan. Very helpful. Surprised Canaries are 'good car riders'. My Societies were stressed out by even short car trip in a covered cage. My Societies also got droppings all over the wall, my desk, and the curtains ( I swear sometimes they 'aimed'!). Are canaries more bottom-of-cage mess? What kind of cage litter do you use? How does canary personality compare to Budgie and Society finch? Are canaries hardy as budgies/ Societies?

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:50 pm

My societies are good car riders too, for what it's worth.

I use newspaper. I don't find either society finches or canaries spray outside their cages, in both cases their droppings go right down in my experience.

I wouldn't say canaries are quite as hardy. Their sensitivity to day length makes them require more attention to stay healthy - societies or budgies will thrive even in a living room with unusual daylight hours. That environment would make a canary unwell.

Canaries seem more sensitive to drafts, too, but can handle cold temperatures if acclimated and if there is NO draft.

Canaries are difficult to tame and aren't really like budgies in many ways. Generally they aren't afraid of people, but are very hand-shy. They get along with most finches and can hold their own with even relatively aggressive species, though seem most happy with other gentle birds like societies or gouldians.
~Dylan

~~~

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:46 pm

Now I'm seriously thinking about a male Canary (would be my first) or possibly Society finch 'Do over'. Loved my Societies but after reading on Forum realize I may have caused my own problems as a Newby. Extra mess may have been from overcrowding in a tall narrow cage. Also encouraged to take birds along on car trips keeping cage uncovered so they can see around them. Clean water was also an issue: would use tube waters this time instead of open cups (which they always tried to bathe in).
RE: Societies- would 2-3 males still sing? Would they still try to build a nest stuffing hay in their bamboo nest without any females in the cage?
Personality wise would you recommend Societies or single Canary? I'm not looking for handtamed pet- cage birds only.
Thank you Dylan. You have all three of bird types I'm considering.