Meet Milo

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Meet Milo

Post by lovezebs » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:44 pm

FinchLady

Canaries and Societies, can live very peacefully together.

A combination of two Society males, and a male Canary, can work very nicely together.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:52 pm

They do get along. A 30 x 18 cage could house two societies and a canary adequately.

I can't really recommend one or the other, both are very nice pet birds.
Male societies do sing in groups, and will nest together, yes.

I plan to gift two young society finches and a canary to a neighbor of mine, assuming I do get some baby canaries from our current clutch, and this will be the setup I provide her for them.
~Dylan

~~~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:11 pm

lovezebs

Milo seems to be a very eager eater. I have tried microwaved frozen carrots and slightly cooked sweet potato and he cleaned his dish for both! He also loves tomato slices. Seems that perhaps he won't be too hard to keep a pretty color after all. He's the first canary I've had who will touch those foods!
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:30 pm

Sheather

Strange you mention tomatos...

For whatever the reason, I've never tried tomato for my birds.
Can't recall if I read something about it years ago that it's not good for birds...
Poor old head, doesn't work as good as it used to #-o

I tried some of the red eggfood. Offered it to the Canakids. They tried it, and went PHOOOEEE, lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Hm, mine loves that too.
~Dylan

~~~

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Tue May 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Sheather
Dylan:
Reread your advice RE: Canary vs. 2-3 Societies or 2 Budgies. Would you say Budgies are messier than 2-3 Societies (not big deal for me; bigger deal for my husband)? Was surprised your Societies travel well by car. Do you cover the cage or just put it in the back seat? Would All Society males still build a nest without a female in the cage?

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue May 16, 2017 8:51 pm

Budgies are messier. They shed a lot of feathers.
I didn't usually cover the cages. For the most part they sit and watch things go by. No freak outs.
Males still build nests without females.
~Dylan

~~~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed May 17, 2017 7:15 am

FinchLady

Society males are very busy nest builders (even without a female). Usually when all males are housed together they will playfully compete for nesting material, sing in each other's facing in friendly competition and preen each other while resting.

I've had an all male's cage at one time with 7 males. It was a entertaining to watch them.