Male canary defending nest from hen?

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Paddington
Hatchling
Hatchling

Male canary defending nest from hen?

Post by Paddington » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:06 pm

Ho everyone,
I have a pair of American Singer canaries that i am 90% sure are male and female. They were sexed by knowledgeable breeder, and their behaviors seems consistent.

They share the same cage a few weeks ago I thought I would add a nest and see what would happen. One of the canaries who I believe is the male immediately took to building the nest with gusto and did a pretty good job. I was observing their behavior this morning and saw him sitting in the nest (though there were no eggs).

Later as I watched them he chased away the hen whenever she got close to the nest, and seemed to get very territorial. Is this unusual? They usually get a long well but he has been sitting by the nest guarding it fiercely. Any suggestions?

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Re: Male canary defending nest from hen?

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:53 pm

Pretty sure that you have two females over there, males don't build nests.

Although rare, some females can sing.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Male canary defending nest from hen?

Post by Sheather » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:08 pm

Agreed with Ricardo. Male canaries are opposite to the little estrildid finches we know (societies, zebras, waxbills, etc) in that the male does not build the nest. Two hens.
~Dylan

~~~