Babysitting...

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Babysitting...

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:32 pm

Babs

I'll take the left over chicken and broccoli.....

I got nothing coocked over here, just some defrosting chicken sitting in a bowl of water in the sink... now how exciting is that?

Chicken Cacciatore, anyone???
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:59 pm

lovezebs

Awww. You gotta cook for yourself too girlie. Order some delivery Kick your feet up.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:04 pm

Babs

What's wrong with Chicken Cacciatore? You no like eh?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Babs

They are definitely way plumper (is there such a word?) and happier looking.
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:12 pm

lovezebs

Its been a long time since I've had that. Delicious if I remember right.

The kids definitely have grown in some soft feathers for sure. So, what's it like feeding canaries? Are they bottomless pits or do they fall over into a brief coma after eating, like society babies do?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:26 pm

Babs

They eat and rest for a bit, eat and rest, then eat some more.

Blondy has taken to climbing on Browny's back and grabbing the tooth pick before his sib can get to it. He sits right on his back, which cracks me right up.
~Elana~

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:32 am

lovezebs Haha, that's cute and funny! It's nice of you to help with these birds.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:13 am

MisterGribs

Well, when I heard that he had baby losses due to parents not feeding, what could I say?

I love feeding babies, and I have the time to do it, and so....
Mama Bird Elana, to the rescue :D

I just love seeing these unwanted, half starved waifs flourish and grow with s little bit of food and TLC (and no Gribsey, you are not an unwanted, half starved waif [-X and no, there is no huge lasagna winging it's way across the north pole).
~Elana~

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:49 am

lovezebs Ohhh darn it!! Lol
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:18 pm

MisterGribs

Ask Heta, to make you a nice lasagna, or better yet, make a nice lasagna for her :D

Do you (by the way) have a name? Calling you Gribsy, just doesn't sound right. Pick a name, any name, or I'll start calling you Garfield.

The kids, are doing very nicely this morning.
I got all kinds of screaming and tail fluttering from Blondy when he saw me this morning, while Browny was more shy and restrained.

They moved from their small travel cage into bigger accomodations today (seeing as they are growing by leaps and bounds). It's a small cage, but enough for now until they begin flying .

I stuck some fresh wet spinach leaves close to the perch they were on, and saw both of them nibble on it a bit. Not sure if actually eating, or just licking the water drops off the leaves. Also placed a flat little container (that screws to the side of the cage) with little mounds of their baby food on it, and Blondy nibbled some of it up.

:-BD Progress :-BD
~Elana~

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:10 pm

lovezebsMy name is Gribby Bullock, lol

Heta loves my lasagna, I normally make two or three at a time for leftovers. Yum.

Sounds like you're having a victorious day!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:06 pm

MisterGribs

Hi Gribby,

So if you can cook your own lasagna, why do you want mine???

Little babes are doing very well, thank the powers that be.

Cleaning the flights today (halfway through, back is killing me), I noticed the two tiny tots in their small cage, and had to stop and watch them for a moment.

The cage they are in is really old, and has two cut openings in the front for dishes. The dishes however never came my way when I bought the cage for $5 in a garage sale many years ago.

Anyway, I hung two food cups on the inside to block the holes.

Well here is wee Blondy, chirping frantically, trying to wedge himself between the cup and the wall.

I walked up to their cage, and he's hanging off the wall facing me and talking away a mile a minute. I walk away, and he's trying to jam himself between the wall and the cup once more. I went back, opened the door, and doesn't he hop into my hand, pecking gently at my fingers and chattering away <3 <3 <3 all happy happy.

I repeated this several times, and every time, he tried to get through the opening and come to me as I moved around the room.

I might have to make some arrangement with Kevin, and keep this one. I can't believe how he's bonded to me in less than a week :YMHUG:

I was afraid of this.....
~Elana~

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:48 pm

lovezebs

I knew it!

From the very beggining i knew you wouldn't resist :D

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:56 pm

Ricardo Ronsini

I can resist if I make up my mind, but this sweet attachment makes it a bit more difficult. I guess we shall see, once they start to feed themselves and become more independent, it might be just a passing thing and then he can go back to Kevin with his brother.

The problem is, that I really don't care for frilled Canaries, and so....
Attachments
20170419_114149.jpg
20170419_114308.jpg
20170419_114200.jpg
~Elana~

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:34 pm

When we name them, it is too late.

Fair enough you keep blondy.