Babysitting...

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Babysitting...

Post by lovezebs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Hello All...

Just after I went on and on about not needing anny more Canaries, lol :wink:

Well yesterday afternoon, I got a call from a friend, who is in the process of moving and ended up with 2 Canary fledglings who jumped the nest and Parents stopped feeding.

Having already lost 2 or 3 other chicks from different pairs to the same issue, he decided to take me up on my open ended offer to feed unwanted babies, and made the call.

And so, these two little ones arrived home with me.

The younger one is a struggle to feed, and you just about need a crow bar to get his beak open, but the slightly older one, is picking up very quickly on eating nibbling on his meals from the end of a tooth pick.
He's also had a drink, when I put the tip of his beak into a spoon of tepid water.

Wish me luck guys.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Babysitting...

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:54 pm

lovezebs

Ohhhhh! Pictures!! <3 :YMHUG: Hopefully the one eating will encourage the other. You can do it!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Babs

Hi sweetie,

Both eating like champs now :D
Attachments
20170416_191632.jpg
20170416_191637.jpg
20170417_102347_1.jpg
20170417_180345.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:56 pm

lovezebs
Oh they are soooo cute! Good luck with them and keep the pics coming. They don't know it yet, but they hit the jackpot with you!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:33 pm

Jen

Thanks Jenny,

I'm just happy to see them eating with enthusiasm.

I don't think it will be too long before these kids are independent and heading back to my friend. I don't want to become too attached, but I can see that it will be difficult, lol.
~Elana~

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:59 am

Wow, I had to google frilled canaries, I didn't know they existed! Kind of reminds me of frizzle chickens. Domestic birds can be so zany.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:07 am

lovezebs

I'm elated they are eating willingly. =D> Nothing more frustrating than trying to open a stubborn beak that spits out the food after a wrestling match just to get a bit in there. [-(

Having a good time, yes?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:54 am

MisterGribs

Yes, they are a weird lot, aren't they.
They remind me of something that has been dragged through the hedges backwards, not once but twice

These poor things are bad enough, but take a look at these...
Attachments
Screenshot_20170418-095052-320x512.png
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Babs

Hi hon,

Yes, I'm even more elated than you my friend.

I mean I sure as heck didn't want to have to say to Kevin: Um, er,... your babies died, and them being such darlings, and expensive too, and me telling him I could feed them.

Well now they are eating like mini horses, but will only eat from a tooth pick, lol.
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:06 pm

lovezebs

He must be so happy to have someone to help out with the breeding "oopsies". Now you are the momma. :-*

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:11 pm

lovezebs

If you are returning them, please tell me he is paying for formula... [-o<
That stuff is expensive.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:00 pm

Babs

I love being Mama bird <3 <3 <3

I offered to help, because I hate the idea of these poor wee ones going hungry, or worst.

I just love feeding them, so it's a good thing for me, and it helps someone out, and it saves these little dalings.

Regarding baby formula: He offered me some, but I've got bunches of it in the freezer, which needs to be used up anyway, so it's a win win situation.
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:26 pm

lovezebs

Yep I understand completely. Enjoy , my friend ;)

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:07 pm

lovezebs
A couple of years ago I saw my first "frilled" canary. There was one in particular that was GORGEOUS!!! I have not forgotten him. His feathers "frilled" all about his body and he looked like he lived in a cloud of feathered heaven. He was beautiful. You are doing such a wonderful thing. These little guys deserve a shot at "bird life". Good for you! =D>

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:41 am

What are those poor vulture backed canaries?
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.