First two chicks

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
xoncas
Pip
Pip

First two chicks

Post by xoncas » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Hi all

a few months ago I decided to join the world of canaries. I got two red factors and they quickly hit it off. Fast forward to 3.5 weeks ago and two eggs hatched!

During the 2.5 weeks the kids were in the nest all was fine - parents were being excellent.

Now that they've left the nest, I've noticed that they seem to not be doing so great. I've seen both chicks refuse food from their parents and one of them almost refusing to leave the perches. Whilst one chick seems to try peck at food the other seems to have taken to sleeping / staying on the perch all day.

Any ideas? I'm starting to get worried sick about them!
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2017-04-22 at 12.19.05.jpeg

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: First two chicks

Post by lovezebs » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:22 pm

xoncas

How long since they fledged?

Chicks refusing food from parents is highly unusual. Usually it comes to a point where the parents have to practically beat them off to wean them.

Personally, I would grab each baby and give them a good feel.
Is the breast bone sharp and pointy, or is it well fleshed? Do they feel all bones, or do they feel plump?

If they are very light and bones are prominant, I would grab a bag of hand feeding formula, mix it up and feed these chicks. Let me know if you know how to feed chicks who are refusing food (I am in the process of handfeeding a Canary chick at the moment, whom the parents stopped feeding when he and his sibling fledged).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Chrismurdoch3
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Chrismurdoch3 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:22 pm

In your picture the chicks seem to be in good health but i would keep a close eye on them and make sure their conditions don't get any worse.
OWLS, GOULDIANS, SOCIETIES, AND FEW ZEBRAS

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:08 pm

Actually some canaries are so good at taking care of their youngs that sometimes they overfeed them, and the chicks will refuse the food simply because they are full.

That may also explain why they seem to be less active, if they are not hungry the best thing to do is just to stay at ease and sleep.

xoncas
Pip
Pip

Post by xoncas » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:31 am

Since my original post I have tried to feed one of the chicks but it wouldn't open its beaks.

The chicks are now 24 days old. They left the nest around 8 days ago. Today I did notice both chicks trying to eat but mostly I've seen them chase their dad around begging for food (he didn't feed them).

Yesterday evening one of the chicks and its dad were "fighting" - open beaks and yelling at each other. The mother just laid another egg and seems disinterested in them today.

Is it time to try separate them to their own cage? Food wise, I have been giving them quite a lot of soft foods (bought from store) as well as boiled egg. I've read a good idea is to put broccoli as perching as they will nibble at it but I haven't done this.

Any help or pointers on what best to do and how best to analyze the situation is welcome! I don't want to panic and make a situation out of nothing.

This morning: https://youtu.be/fRFG_qx_NXI

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:36 am

My canary chicks seem sort of dull during the period when they're out of the nest and having to get their own food. They eat on their own, sometimes get fed by the parents, and sit around. I think that's their nature.

It is very likely that you're just not seeing them when they eat and drink (although it is a good idea to have a dish of water in the cage so they can't miss that).
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:55 am

It seems perfectly normal and natural behavior to me, once the chicks are achieving independence the male will feed them less and less, and they would become more annoying towards each other.

Never separte a chick that is younger than 30 days, they rarely are able to eat by themselves before this time.

I usually wait until they are 35, 37 days, just to be sure, but it is not a fixed rule, some will need even more time.

Don't worry about the hissing, and the chases, that's perfecly normal, as long as the fights won't become serious, and the babies are still being fed.