Question On Eating

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Question On Eating

Post by dunker817 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:22 pm

My pair of Spanish Timbrado canaries have built a nest and laid two eggs in it. I'm comfortable with the variety of food they are getting but am worried that my hen never leaves her nest. Not even to eat. I have only seen her leave the nest once. And one time I noticed the male feeding her. Is this behavior normal? Should I try to coax her out to eat?

Thanks,
Layne
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Antone France

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Question On Eating

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:33 pm

dunker817

Hi Layne,

Some Canary girlies get very lazy when sitting on their nests, depending on their menfolk to feed them.

However....usually they will come out to bathe and get a little exercise.

How long since you've seen her out?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:38 pm

That's perfectly normal, and actually a good sign, it means that the pair is bonded and both are engaged in the task.

I wouldn't worry too much or disturb the hen during incubation, but as she is one of that females who will hardly ever leave the nest, and the clutch is a small one, i would place 1 or 2 plastic eggs right after the chicks hatch, so the risk of her smashing them is lower.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:52 pm

I firmly agree with Ricardo Ronsini; she'll be OK.

And the plastic egg idea is a good one, too, with small clutches. Not only will the extra eggs protect the new chicks, but it gives them something to push against when they stretch upwards to be fed.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Thank you all for the advice. I haven't seen her out of the nest in probably a week now or close to it. I'm very careful to not disturb her. I had to clean the bird room today but I avoided her and the nest as much as possible. I will look on line for some fake eggs. I know none of the pet stores around here carry them.

Thanks again!

Layne
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Antone France

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:10 pm

ladygouldianfinch.com has fake eggs for sale. 800-579-7974.

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:29 am

Thank you Wild Bird. I ordered some eggs on Amazon. They should be here some time mid week.

I would like to report that I have seen Peepers eating at the food station, always egg food, a couple of times.

Another question: What do I need to provide for the babies? I read somewhere that offering insects like wax worms is okay. Today they got minced green beans and seem to like them.
Layne

Antone France

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:25 pm

dunker817

I haven't found Canaries to be too interested in live foods.

Here is a link to my egg food, which all the birds enjoy. It is good year around, for moulting, for nesting and for rearing babies:

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31995

I have also started adding a few drops of Ecotrition Skin & Plumage (8 in 1) supplement.

I hope Peepers and the kids (along with Dad), love it as much as my birds do.

P.S.

When she does come out of the nest, see that she has a bath available. If she doesn't bathe, fine mist her chest and tummy with a little bit of tepid water. This will make sure that your eggs don't dry out.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~