Soft to soft

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
hairycanary
Pip
Pip

Soft to soft

Post by hairycanary » Tue May 23, 2017 10:38 pm

There's lots of conflicting advice online, I was looking to see what feather types my reds are and I noticed that some sites say breeding soft feather to soft feather is fine but the same amount say soft to soft is a no go, I have one of each (so far) so it doesn't really affect me but what's the truth with this?

Cheers Neil.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Soft to soft

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed May 24, 2017 4:28 am

In the canary world we get what we call coarse feather and also fine feather, it's strongly advisable not to pair coarse to coarse or fine to fine.

The feather types are more commonly known as yellows and buffs, although we do actually get these colourations this is also known as feather type and quality.

The term buffs are are a more of a coarser feather and gives a much more heaver looking feather as it often fluffs out around the body of the bird,

The term yellows are more of a fine feather and normally gives the appearance of a much neater and tighter looking feather and looks more intensive,

Serious canary breeders and exhibitors will usually state to always pair buffs ( coarse feather ) to yellow ( fine feather ) for best results.

If you try to pair buff to buff you tend to loose the overall colouration of the birds but also the feathers become far to coarse looking and can give the appearance of a heavily feathered bird which isn't particularly good for the show bench,

The same also applies to pairing to yellows together as the feathers although will enhance the overall colour now makes the feather to fine looking,
The more the birds are bred this way the worse the youngsters will become,

I would always strongly advise in pairing buff ( coarse feather ) to yellow ( fine feather ) for best results

hairycanary
Pip
Pip

Post by hairycanary » Wed May 24, 2017 9:58 am

Thanks for the reply Stuart. That's interesting stuff. Now you've mentioned your bit above, I'm now not sure what my pair are. I have a couple of pics here of our two red factors, we didn't get around to enhancing their redness at the last moult so they are pale but it's worth a go. I think my male is soft and the hen is hard but I'm all ears at what anyone thinks. I can get new photos tomorrow so these will have to do for now. What do you think our pairs feather types are?

ImageMrs canary

ImageMr singy

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed May 24, 2017 4:16 pm

hairycanary wrote: Thanks for the reply Stuart. That's interesting stuff. Now you've mentioned your bit above, I'm now not sure what my pair are. I have a couple of pics here of our two red factors, we didn't get around to enhancing their redness at the last moult so they are pale but it's worth a go. I think my male is soft and the hen is hard but I'm all ears at what anyone thinks. I can get new photos tomorrow so these will have to do for now. What do you think our pairs feather types are?

[ [url=http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/Photobucketisrubbish/Screenshot_2017-05-12-13-18-18_zpst1vcycqj.png] ][/url]Mrs canary

[ [url=http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/Photobucketisrubbish/Screenshot_2017-05-12-13-18-31_zps76fweywm.png] ][/url]Mr singy
Arh right ok, new colour canaries, basically in the new colour world the yellow feather birds are what we call intensive and the buffs are non intense :thumbup:

The top pic looks to me a bird that's is intensive red factor but not colour fed during the moult,

The bottom pic from what I can see looks to be non intense new colour canary but also looks to be what we call a diamorphic, diamorphic meaning that it's the only group of canaries that are visually sexable,
Although the bird looks to be a diamorphic it is still a new colour canary and would say that this is a cock bird, hens normally only have red or yellow brow over the eye as opposed to a facial mask and also hens have much less colour on the wing butts :mrgreen:

hairycanary
Pip
Pip

Post by hairycanary » Thu May 25, 2017 7:56 am

Great answer, we're very impressed. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Neil.

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Thu May 25, 2017 10:29 am

Stuart whiting Your knowledge is awesome

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 am

Stuart whiting

Good to see ya Stuart ! :)

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri May 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Babs Hiya Babs how yer doing, yep I'm back again :mrgreen:

Have been very busy over the last few months aswell as family health issues etc, I've still got me birdroom to finish off as I didn't do to much to it during the winter, to blimmin cold.....lols

Hope you and birds are keeping well :-BD

Speak soon

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri May 26, 2017 7:03 pm

Stuart whiting

I'm still waiting on the finished birdroom. You had the exterior looking fantastic!

Glad to see you back! Yep, I had a good season. Lots of pretty gouldian babies molting up as we speak!

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sat May 27, 2017 3:15 am

Babs

Will do Babs, just recently been out and bought more and better quality power tools, will show pics within the next few weeks as I start to make more progress :-BD

Glad to hear you've got some nice gouldians on sticks =D>

Speak soon