Odd feather

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
hairycanary
Pip
Pip

Odd feather

Post by hairycanary » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:02 am

Hi all, long story short, my female had the dreaded ingrown feather on her wing and was treated. It's been almost three weeks and I've noticed another feather growing in it's place. I've not had a really good look yet but it's really sticking out, is there a chance that this could be a repeat offender?

That would be really unfair for the poor thing, is it common for that feather slot to keep growing one back with this issue or is it just how a new feather looks temporarily? I always thought that a feather lost stays lost til next full moult.

Cheers
Neil.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Odd feather

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:30 pm

~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:51 am

hairycanary

Yea sadly we do see this within the canary world but thankfully not to often,

The ingrowning feather is basically a cyst and can be removed at times but can come back, they can also appear in other parts of the body aswell,

These cyst are what many of us call lumps, they do appear on all birds but are renowned with canaries,

A lot of the problems are caused when breeders are pairing their birds to many times to buff feathered birds, buff not meaning colour but a term that breeders use as in terms of feather type and quality.

Buff feathered birds are generally a coarse feathered bird and should be paired to yellow feathered birds ( again not colour ) yellow featherering is what we call fine feathered birds,

Most breeders would pair buff X yellow to to get the best of feathered birds,

This type of feather are on all canaries throughout the world regardless of colour,

In new colour canaries we call this intenseive and non intenseive.

Unfortunately lumps / cyst can grow anytime and and if the feathers are pulled they the same as any feather can regrow within around 6 weeks

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:06 am

Oh no!!!! The dreaded feather cyst... I'm sorry this has happened to you, I have had a horrible experience with these.

Yes, they do tend to come back. And since you have a canary, you are probably going to have to watch that feather like a hawk to get any regrowing cysts before they can get bad.

If this feather continues to cause problems for your canary, you should look into having the follicle destroyed by a veterinarian so that the feather can't regrow. This is done by cauterizing the vein that feeds it with a tiny needle. It can be expensive depending on the vet, but you will save money in the long run on all the infections and abscesses, plus the life of your bird.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

hairycanary
Pip
Pip

Post by hairycanary » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi all, sorry for the delay in posting. The second feather was removed and it was infected due to being so close to the previous feather, I've separated the female and much to her dislike, I'm cleaning her wing with a watered down betadine applied with a cotton bud. The cyst from the first feather is a bit bloody but reducing in size luckily. Is there an antibiotic I can bed to her water so I don't have to handle her all the time?

Thanks again all of you for taking the time to answer my post.

Neil