RED FACTOR CANARIES WITH FINCHES

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

RED FACTOR CANARIES WITH FINCHES

Post by mick1933 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:44 am

Hi. Does anyone have red factor canaries in a mixed aviary with finches. I want to get some red factor mosaic canaries and was wondering if the red factor additive would adversely effect the finches in any way.

Mick1933
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: RED FACTOR CANARIES WITH FINCHES

Post by Dave » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:07 pm

It's always a case of 'depending on space'.

I've had canaries with finches (waxbills, for instance) with no problems. But that was in an walk-in aviary with lots of shelves and perches. The canaries and finches just ignored each other.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:01 pm

mick1933

I have kept red factors with different types of finches, and now keep them with Gouldians without any major issues , and mine are in indoor flights.

The only issue I have ever had was when a Zebra Finch was getting too cocky and my Canary almost killed him, so I would hesitate about Canaries and Zebras. However, in a large outdoor aviary even that might not become an issue.

The one issue you might come up against is male Canaries together during breeding season. Male Canaries, tend to get territorial and aggressive during breeding season, and that's definitely something to take into consideration.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

Post by mick1933 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi. Thanks for the advice. I have a walk in aviary 12ft X 6ft X 7ft high.
Mick1933
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:33 pm

I've seen the red additive used in a mixed canary flight. There was a really cute yellow canary with some peach spots (which could have been from it playing in the food). I don't know about finches though, but I can't imagine it being an issue (far from an expert though).

Is there a food the canaries prefer over your finches? Mixing it with that should give a greater chance of the canaries getting most of it.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:08 am

mick1933
If the red factor additive is beta carotene, then it shouldn't be a problem. If it is vitamin A (not proto-vitamin A), then there is a risk of overdose, especially since it is fat soluble. I don't know about the other ingredients.

mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

Post by mick1933 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi all thanks for the advice will keep that in mind particularly re the vitamin D. Don't have to worry about Zebs as I am not keen on them