hen breeding again

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
ioannatsoni1993
Pip
Pip

hen breeding again

Post by ioannatsoni1993 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:02 pm

hello I need your help.I.have a hen that has already gave birth two.times one in april alone without male (4 eggs) and the second one in june with male(4 eggs one fertile).now she has a 17 days old chick in the nest and its fed by both parents.BUT THE PROBLEM IS that my hen started laying eggs again in the nest!now.she has 4 again.im really concerned for her health as.its 21 july and shehas gone through two births alredy even though she raised only one chick.should I throw the new eggs for my hens health(molting period ahead) or I could keep them cause there are probably fertile with a male inside the cage and help her boost her system with supplements etc?maybe I should buy an incubricator but then again she will have to feed them...I m so confused please help.temperature in greece is high (usually 30-35 celsius) in a daily basis during summer but there is humidity and is.generally cool cause we live near the sea.please help!

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Re: hen breeding again

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:17 pm

Don't worry, three cluches is a bearable number, especially with only one chick raised.

Just make sure she has enough calcium and egg food.

But have in mind that some hens will lay cluch after cluch, so it is wise to pull the nest out after the third cluch.