Newbie-kitchen canaries?

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
danaday
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Newbie-kitchen canaries?

Post by danaday » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi
Can anyone help me identify these two canaries I just got? The white one is the female and the brown and yellow is male. I was told they are about a year and half, although I suspect the white one might be older? I say this because her feet is scaly either due to age, mites, or calcium build up? Maybe all three? I have treated them both and they are under quarantine.
I would like to know what the breed/type background is? I'm assuming they are just the kitchen variety! But it would be nice to know what made these kitchen canaries. And I am curious to know if they are hard feather or soft? Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_2392.JPG
IMG_2395.JPG
IMG_2390.JPG
Danaday

GOULDIANS
2 BH PB BB females
1 BH/GYH PB GB male
1 RH WB GB male

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Newbie-kitchen canaries?

Post by Sheather » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:31 pm

These look like good old fashioned canaries. Nowadays in the US, these often descend at least partially from American Singers, which are themselves a cross between roller and border canaries.

The male is soft feather, cannot tell for sure on the female because she is all white but judging by her fluffiness, she looks soft as well. It's said not to breed soft to soft but I've only had soft canaries and never had an issue breeding them.
~Dylan

~~~

danaday
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by danaday » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Sheather
Thanks so much for your input.
I figured they were normals, if not then "kitchen" types. I'm also agreeing with you that the white crest female is also soft feather. Her crest is not completely white though, there's little bits of brown mingle in.
Danaday

GOULDIANS
2 BH PB BB females
1 BH/GYH PB GB male
1 RH WB GB male

danaday
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by danaday » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:00 pm

Also would the female be called a variegated dominate white? The little bit of brown in her crest makes me say variegated. And she has the slightest trace of yellow in her wing feathers.

Currently, they are being treated for scaly mites and air sac mites along with who knows what. Their health was not disclose to me and when I brought them home, upon closer inspection I got hit hard. But I think with at the minimum a month long quarantine they will both make a fine recovery. Wish me luck! So glad I didn't bring them into my bird room. But just to be safe, everyone in the bird room will get treated with S76 or Scatt. I do have lots of Gouldians.
Danaday

GOULDIANS
2 BH PB BB females
1 BH/GYH PB GB male
1 RH WB GB male

Razasings
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Razasings » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:54 pm

These two lovely serinus domestic canaria will surely give you beautiful babies in the future if you decide to cross them. :D Beautiful birds !!!!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:01 am

Yes, the female is a variegated dominant white.
Dominant white canaries do not have to be solid white - indeed, they can be solid grey. The "white" simply refers to a lack of yellow pigment over most of the body (except at the wingtips.)

Dominant whites, meaning even solid gray or "blue" canaries, should always be bred to yellow-type canaries, either yellow, cinnamon, or green, as two dominant whites produce a lethal factor which is fatal to some of the chicks before they hatch. This is the case with crested as well. But you have a yellow and a white, and only the white is crested, so you have a pretty perfect pair!
~Dylan

~~~