Male red agate Mosaic Canary

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Razasings
Nestling
Nestling

Male red agate Mosaic Canary

Post by Razasings » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:12 am

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to ask a question on behalf of my poor female red agate Mosaic who passed away this week, my male red agate Mosaic is now alone and keeps chirping for her, what other melain type can I pair up with him to create the red agate Mosaic type? Around my area it is extremely difficult to find red agate Mosaics, I also breed yellow Mosaics but I am not going to cross them for the fact it would destroy the agate and red facotors.

Razasings
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Male red agate Mosaic Canary

Post by Razasings » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:21 am

What I am asking to the genetic professionals is what could be my other options to cross with him ??? :|

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:42 pm

I had a red agate mosaic who came from a male red agate mosaic and a female american singer. Probably not the best choice, and I'm definitely no expert.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:10 pm

Razasings

You might have to go on a Canary forum to find out, not sure that we have anyone here with answer for you (but maybe I'm wrong).

Sorry you lost your girl.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Razasings
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Razasings » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:54 pm

Thank you Lovezebs, yes she died on the nest with four babies @ 4 days old, the father ends up raising the babies on his own. Such a good dad. I have found a hen for him and hopefully next season create some more red agate canaries.

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:19 pm

Razasings
sry u lost the female. imo, first off make sure there is decease issues on the other birds.
to answer your question, if you get a female from those babies i would pair it with the father if you haven't found any females by then. inbreeding is not recommended but necessary for selective breeding and all your babies will be agate red mosaic anyways.

Razasings
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Razasings » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:33 pm

I did not want to inbreed my red agates, hopefully I will find a local breeder who also breeds red agate Mosaic I need up have 1 female and 3 males from those four. I just really try to shy away from inbreeding due to the fact that even though it is selective breeding you also run the risk of picking up negative traits too and my honest opinion the cons out way the pros.