Are There Red Factor Mosaic Fyfes

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

Are There Red Factor Mosaic Fyfes

Post by mick1933 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Hi. Can you get red factor mosaic FYFE canaries. If not what are the smallest red factor mosaic's being bred.
Last edited by Sally on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title from all caps to normal type.
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: ARE THERE RED FACTOR MOSAIC FYFES

Post by lovezebs » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:47 am

~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: Are There Red Factor Mosaic Fyfes

Post by andiok » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:58 pm

mick1933
there is no way you can get a fife fancy red factor or even red mosaic fifes are yellow/green/whites but not red.
Now there is a lot of people experimenting on useless stuff out there and maybe someone crossed the fifes with a mosaic or just a red factor. the results if you colorfeed them will be an ugly red canary with ununiform feathers. If thats what people call red mosaic fife fancy then dont believe them.

about the size of mosaics, the show birds are usually big in size and breeders tend to maximize their sizes for better evaluation in bird competitions, so there is no small and big standard for mosaics

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:26 pm

andiok

I thought all fifes are small, am I wrong?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:43 pm

lovezebs
they're big size actually.
Now when we are talking about big size for color bred canaries, its not going to be a Lancashire or Yorkshire size (these guys are huge being well over 6-7 inches) BUT it will still be bigger than a standard normal canary size around 4-5inches.
And when we are talking small size is usually meant for spanish timbrados that are very thin an reach about 4 1/2 to max 5inch.
color and shape bred canary breeders always tend to breed subjects that will reach a big size for the shows. Just like with english zebras and english budgies.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:53 pm

andiok

From what I read about them, they are not supposed to be bigger than 4 and 1/4 inch in size... like a mini Border Canary.

Not an expert by all means, just what I've read about them.
~Elana~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:18 pm

lovezebs
thats not the case in Europe.
The color bred canary is not judged by size at all but breeders prefer competing with bigger size birds. they are judged from their red marks on the face/shoulders and chest.

here is the standard you need to have in order to compete in championships

again it could be totally different in us/canada or maybe even in europe could have changed since i moved but here is what it was 7-8yrs ago.

males

females

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:56 pm

~Elana~

mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

Post by mick1933 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:14 pm

Thanks everyone for the info. Enough there to answer all my questions about Fyfe canaries. The 8 I have are small no more than 4 1/2 to 5 inches at most. That's why I wanted Fyfes as they are not much bigger than some of the finches I am going to get. Regards.
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:34 am

lovezebs
Hahaha Elana I think you're right.
I was actually talking only about the red factor mosaics and you were talking about the fife fancies. Lol. I think mick got what wanted at least hahahhaha

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:13 am

andiok

No worries Andy,

I figured we might be talking about two different types of Canaries, lol.

I was just visiting a friend yesterday, who has some Razas and Japanese Hoso Canaries.... talk about small Canaries... they are tiny delicate little things.
~Elana~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:25 pm

lovezebs
Spanish timbrados (not sure why they call them Raza now) are tiny beautiful birds. I've had the discontinuos and bred them for their song . Wonderful little guys but such potent voice.
Hosos imo are the most elegant canaries ever. So thin but long and a bit curved body.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:01 pm

andiok

Spanish Timbrado and Raza Espanola, are different to my understanding in both size and body shape, with the Raza being much smaller and more delicate looking.

http://www.birds2u.info/standard_spanis ... canary.htm

http://www.birdschack.com/articles/raza ... canary.php

http://www.birds2u.info/spanish_timbrado_canary.htm

Raza song (to my ear) is not as metalic as the Timbrado song.

https://youtu.be/CU0DxTDY_F0

https://youtu.be/b4X3_HiHsrM
~Elana~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:04 pm

lovezebs
Elana they are the same canary just different names. Spain only has the Spanish timbrado type canary that some name them Raza Español.
Is a song canary and the only difference between them is the song.
There's 3 categories you can complete in championships with Tumbrados.
Continuos (Classico), intermediate, discontinuos.
Continuos have almost a normal canary song with pauses between each sound of the song.
Intermediate have very small pauses between sounds and
Discontinuos have one solid song with different sounds which is beautiful imo
I got my discontinuos when I was in vacation in Spain, Madrid and got them from a great breeder. He had all types including the wild canaries straight from Canary Island
Continuos Classico

Intermedio Timbrado

Discontinuo Tumbrado

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:13 pm

andiok

The Raza's I've seen around here, are a lot smaller than the Timbrado's which I have seen. They are as tiny as the Hoso's.... :-??

I'm not an expert by a long shot, so.... I'm just going by what I've seen and what I've read.

You went all the way to Spain to get a Canary?
~Elana~