CANARIES AND GREEN SINGERS TOGETHER IN AVIARY

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

CANARIES AND GREEN SINGERS TOGETHER IN AVIARY

Post by mick1933 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi has anyone had any experience with Canaries and Green Singers in an aviary. I have 8 Fyfe Canaries and want to introduce one pair of Green Singers. I have read where some people say it is OK and some say it is not OK but I don't know if they have actually done it or if it is just their opinion. My aviary is 13ft X 8 ft.
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: CANARIES AND GREEN SINGERS TOGETHER IN AVIARY

Post by Sheather » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:59 pm

They should be fine, these are birds you might not want caged together indoors but that's a lot of space. Kind of like how you can keep many canaries in aviaries but they're best kept alone or paired in a cage

With others of their own species I'd expect them mostly to ignore each other.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:10 am

mick1933

My opinion, would be to avoid Canaries of a similar colour to the Green Singers.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:47 am

It is ok to keep em together Mick as hey will actually get on fine but the trouble is that they have been know for the cock green singers to actually cross breed with canary hens,
This in affect will produce a foreign finch mule,

As lovezebs has rightly mentioned it's probably best not to keep the singers and canaries together unless you're not particularly bothered if they happen to cross breed or not

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:52 am

mick1933

A quick note in addition to my post above...

The reason I advised not to keep Green Singers with Canaries of a similar colour, is due to the fact that during breeding season (which can be different in different places around the world) the male GS can become quite aggressive to birds of a similar colour and at times with other birds as well.

When I had my GS's, I housed them with my small Waxbills in a large community flight without any issues, but had to remove my pair to seperate accomodations during breeding time, due to the male becoming aggressive with the other birds in the flight.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

Post by mick1933 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi thanks for the advice. All I want is an aviary of pretty birds and don't care if they crossbred but would not encourage it. From the advice here and what I have read it think it all depends on the Green Singer cock. They seem to come from timid to homicidal in temperament so I don't think I will take the risk of getting a crazy one. I have nearly finalised a list of birds I want to try and get and that's been an exercise in itself. Regards.
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:17 am

mick1933 good luck I really like the green singers but waiting abit whilst I get the gist of finches all together don't want to jump to far like I did with a cocktiel :D
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3