Prices and singing

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Cynbad
Pip
Pip

Prices and singing

Post by Cynbad » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:23 am

Do male canaries sing only at a certain time of day?
How much would you pay for a yellow male?
9 kids, 2 exotic cats, 1 st Bernard, 1 shih tzu, 3 poodles, 2 finch

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Prices and singing

Post by lovezebs » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:44 am

Cynbad

It depends on the individual birds and the time of the year.

Here in Canada, my guys moult in the Summer, and start singing again in the Fall. They will start singing at sunrise and sunset, then build up until they are singing all day long.

Yellow males (depending where you live) can range between $40.00 to well over a $100.00 and up depending on what type of Canary you are looking for. If you can find a breeder, you will usually be able to find a bird for less money than if you go through a Pet Shop.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Prices and singing

Post by Sheather » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:30 pm

My experience is that canaries will sing most alone in a small cage, but they are happiest with more space and company. All of mine have lived with a female partner at least and all of them still sing off and on through the day. Usually in the morning and at sunset they will sing most vigorously, taking a break midday.

All of the males I have had also sing all year, though they do so least in the summer molt. My Milo now is molting, but still sings two or three short songs a day.

A purebred canary goes for average $75 from a breeder while a mixed breed/kitchen type canary can be as low as $40. All of them will be closer to $150 at a shop, color doesn't matter and some stores will charge more than $200 for a plain yellow bird!
~Dylan

~~~