Canary babies keep dying

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Canary babies keep dying

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi There
Recently my pair of canaries hatched 4 baby canaries. 1 died near the start ( fell out of the nest ) and within the last couple of days I've had two fall out of the nest and it is a two metre drop to the ground. This morning I found the two babies both dead which now leaves only one left. Does anyone have any advice on stopping baby canaries from falling out of the nest? I gave my canary a nest pan but she built her own nest on a ledge instead ( which is the one the baby canaries were in ) so it probably isn't the safest nest. Next time I plan to breed my canaries in a breeding cage and with a different nest. Would it be possible for canaries to use a nest box?
Thanks
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Canary babies keep dying

Post by mick1933 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi. I recently had the same problem. I have 4 pair of canaries in an aviary, 2 pair laid in the usual cup type nests while the other 2 made nests in the bushes. Canaries are really bad nest makers in the bushes. What I did I bought a couple of little plastic soup bowls that I was able to put in under the nest and held them in place by the bushes. That solved the problem. It might work for you.
Regards Mick
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:28 pm

Canaries will not use a box but will use a covered bamboo nest if the hole is big enough. Find one with a hole of at least 3 inches width.
~Dylan

~~~

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:51 am

Ok thank you. I discovered the last little baby canary dead in the nest today so I've now removed the nest. Does anyway know how many times canaries breed a year? Will my canaries try and breed again now that the nest is gone?
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds