Breeding Questions

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Breeding Questions

Post by hfinney » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:21 pm

Hello. I'm considering the idea of breeding a pair of canaries, and I have a few questions as I learn and prepare. I'd appreciate any advice.

1. I have a red factor male. What kind or color is best to breed him with?
2. How long before male babies start to sing, so I can identify gender with any certainty?
3. How long can the mixed gender babies stay in a cage together before they need to be separated? I want to be sure I have enough cage space available if my venture is fruitful.

Thank you!

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Breeding Questions

Post by Dave » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi,

I don't know about the red factor male. Unless you have a specific result in mind, you could pair him with a different hen each year just to see what happens. Sometimes, something wonderful!

Male babies start to sing in late September or in October (Northern Hemisphere). Frequently they will warble before that, but not actually sing.

Young males will start to seriously squabble about Christmas time, at least my group does. Also, the males frequently sing less if they are with females so separating them out quickly is a good idea.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by hfinney » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Dave,

Do all male babies start to sing in Sept/Oct, no matter when they are born?

Thanks for your help!

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:22 pm

I don't know. I've only bred Canaries on the natural length of the day, so I've only had baby canaries here in April, May and June.

Do you know the day-length rules for Canaries?
Dave

Canaries

hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by hfinney » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:24 pm

I know a little about the day-length rules for canaries as far as controlling their daylight, but not as it pertains to breeding. That's why I'm doing a lot of learning before I just stick the birds together.

Educate me. When do you put your birds together to breed?

Thanks so much for all your help!

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:03 pm

My birds follow the same day length as the Canary Islands. https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/spain/arrecife I have lights on a timer, and I change the timer weekly. In the past, the hens get interested in making a nest at about 12 hours. They get even more serious at 13 hours. I put the male and female together at 13.5 hours.

These times vary depending on the Canaries heritage. Generally, the hens seem ready before the males are ready. Don't be alarmed if the first nest is not fertile. Let them try again, usually I get good results on the 2nd nest.
Dave

Canaries

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:31 am

I have normally kept males and females together all year, and on a natural day length cycle, hens usually have their nests made and their first egg laid almost like clockwork on March 15th here in Chicago. Though years ago, when I was unaware of their lighting needs, I had successful clutches before Christmas because the day was too long.

All my hens have been very broody and hard to get out of breeding condition once in it. Males are done breeding by July. The hens are nesty until September or October, and will try nesting anywhere they can even without a nest basket until the days really get short and then they molt.
~Dylan

~~~

adoumski
Mature
Mature

Post by adoumski » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:13 am

hi hfinney,

it is best if you breed the red factor male with a red factor hen, that way you will have pure red factor babies.
take into consideration the feather type if ur male is intenssive get him a non intenssive hen and vise versa.

if you breed him with other colours you will get different results, mainly orange to yellow babies.

male canaries will start to sing or babble at arround 40 days of age and the song will start getting clearing, stronger with time.
be careful though some hens will also babble and sing. only their vocal strengh is not as strong as male canaries. you could usually tell them apart by the time they are 4 month.

you could keep the babies together as long as they are not fighting or crowding the cage.

best if luck
Adam
Officially nicknamed Radagast by my family =))

Canaries: norwich, borders, glosters, lizzards, timbrados,
red factor, fifes
Stewy a Pied Cockatiel Male