Breeding recessive white and dominant white canaries

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Breeding recessive white and dominant white canaries

Post by hfinney » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:41 pm

I know that you aren’t supposed to breed two dominant whites because of the lethal factor, but what happens when you breed a recessive white male with a dominant white female? For some reason I can find all other breeding calculations except this one. Thanks!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Breeding recessive white and dominant white canaries

Post by Sheather » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:02 pm

You would most likely get 50% dominant whites and 50% heterozygous yellows. The yellows would carry recessive white and have white chicks if bred to recessive whites or to each other.

The dominant whites would also carry recessive white then, and when they were bred they could produce both dominant white and recessive white chicks. It's probably possible as well for a canary to be both dominant and recessive white, though I don't know what that would look like (probably like a normal recessive white.)

There would be no risk of dead eggs or chicks pairing dominant to recessive white as there would be with two dominant whites.
~Dylan

~~~