Coming into breeding condition early this year.

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Sheather
Proven
Proven

Coming into breeding condition early this year.

Post by Sheather » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:05 pm

My male is singing loud and feeding the female already, normally without supplemental light I would not expect to see this for another four weeks. How are the birds belonging to the other canary breeders on here progressing? Seems like a lot of the time, all the birds in the country will be a little early or a little late as if they were synced somehow. Wondering if that's true this year.
~Dylan

~~~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Coming into breeding condition early this year.

Post by Dave » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:45 pm

Yes, my Canaries are on natural day length and the hens are making nests. Mine are in an unheated aviary (central Kentucky, USA) and we still go below the freezing point several nights a week. The birds don't care, I guess! This behavior
is several weeks earlier than in 2017.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:13 pm

Dave I wonder what the birds pick up, why they start earlier one year than the next.
I haven't given mine a nest yet but the hen is ripping paper and piling it up on perches.
~Dylan

~~~

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:49 am

My canaries have just come out of breeding season now! They are in a breeding cage with a nest but I think it's too late as male has stopped singing etc.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:57 am

Sheather, I don't know what they pick up. It has been colder this winter than last winter---12° F colder in January 2018 compared to 2017. I expected that nesting activity would have been later than last year. But, what do I know, I'm not a Canary!

I used to be on a Canary list, which I think is gone. But lots of Canary breeders would report similar things, even though most of their birds were raised under artificial light.

There are still a few mysteries in this world.
Dave

Canaries

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:15 am

Hi all,

I still aim for St Patrick's Day as the start of my canary breeding season. Right now I'm sterilizing equipment, setting up all the "apartments" and identifying the M & F for selective breeding next month. Here's an example of a single set up from last year.
Selective Breeding Cage2.JPG
The whole place will get pressure washed before I set them up with loads of nest material and increase the protein and calcium in their diet with plenty of egg food. Starting early is risky in an outdoor aviary like this because of the chance of a freeze this month (last night was 33F here.) We had some unusually warm weather with no rain last month so they do seem to be in breeding condition a little early this year. I think peak condition is triggered mostly by the warmer weather and longer daylight hours.
Two clutches per hen is max for me, otherwise they would continue to nest until the August molt. Not good for the hens health... so once the 2nd fledge is over, no more nest material and they all get to fly free for the next 9 months - with the males that were released from their apartments earlier.
Fledge happens in a larger 48" long temporary flight by the window where I can observe when the babies are able to crack seed, eat veggies and find water on their own.
Attachments
view toward back door.jpg
view toward front door.jpg
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:05 am

Paul, thanks for that post!
Dave

Canaries

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Thanks Dave,
Here's a better shot of the apartments fully occupied.
4. Italian Selective Breding Cages for Red Factors .jpg
Selective breeding can be really time consuming if you don't have a way to keep things clean and well organized. My main goals in building the aviary were: 1) to provide a safe, semi-natural open flight environment for the birds, 2) a close up observation experience for myself and my friends and 3) an easy maintenance project so I still have time for work, family and other hobbies.

Here's a folding work bench idea that works fine for me.
work bench.JPG
There are two other smaller work spaces hinged to the walls like this that I use for collecting equipment for cleaning, feeding, banding etc.
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:49 pm

Paul's Amazing Birds

That is an amazing setup! I especially love the idea of the folding benches, what a great way to conserve space.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:16 pm

My canaries winter indoors so the weather is always warm, but opening a window and letting in a mild breeze early in the spring seems to really get them excited, even if it's cooler outdoors than in.

They just seem to know when it's time I guess.
~Dylan

~~~