Mutliple canary nests?

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
kcfd55
Mature
Mature

Mutliple canary nests?

Post by kcfd55 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:43 pm

My Timbrado canaries seem to be scoping out other areas to nest and are beginning to build, even before the current crop of babies is anywhere near being fledged. How many nests can these canaries maintain? Or are they just getting ready for when the current babies leave the nest?

Thanks,

Mike

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Mutliple canary nests?

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:37 am

kcfd55 wrote: My Timbrado canaries seem to be scoping out other areas to nest and are beginning to build, even before the current crop of babies is anywhere near being fledged. How many nests can these canaries maintain? Or are they just getting ready for when the current babies leave the nest?

Thanks,

Mike
If they build another nest then they'll probably abandon the babies? I'd probably remove/destroy these other nests and remove the nest material to deter them from building any more.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:30 am

The hen canary frequently nests again before her first batch wean, and the male takes over the care of the first brood as they begin to leave the nest.
~Dylan

~~~

kcfd55
Mature
Mature

Post by kcfd55 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:32 pm

Flight:
If they build another nest then they'll probably abandon the babies? I'd probably remove/destroy these other nests and remove the nest material to deter them from building any more.

Dylan:
The hen canary frequently nests again before her first batch wean, and the male takes over the care of the first brood as they begin to leave the nest.
Uh, oh. I've created a controversy :? .

I think I'll keep a very close eye on the babies. If I see that the parents cease sitting, I'll remove the other nests. They are sitting as of this morning.

Thanks, All,

Mike

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:45 pm

I would remove additional nests until the chicks start flying, then the male should be taking over their care.
~Dylan

~~~

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Sheather wrote: I would remove additional nests until the chicks start flying, then the male should be taking over their care.
Agreed.

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:43 pm

kcfd55 wrote: Flight:

Dylan:
Uh, oh. I've created a controversy :? .

I think I'll keep a very close eye on the babies. If I see that the parents cease sitting, I'll remove the other nests. They are sitting as of this morning.

Thanks, All,

Mike
No I just didn't quite realise they could raise two clutches at once. Although as Dylan said don't let them nest again until the babies are fledged.