Canary sick?

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Canary sick?

Post by hfinney » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:56 pm

Hello. I have a new canary hen that is holding one of her legs up most of the time. When I bought her last Wednesday, I noticed that her back toe on one leg wasn’t closing around the perch but I thought it was because she was nervous with me studying her so closely. But ever since I got her home, she spends most of the time on one leg.

She’s eating a lot, but her droppings seems abnormally large compared to my other canaries. She dies sleep a bit during the day too, whereas none of my other birds do.

I’m including a photo of her belly. Is this a normal belly? Or is she sick? I’ve received advice on meds to give her but I’d love to know if something is actually wrong and what specifically it is.

Any advice or thoughts?
Attachments
Canary Belly.jpg

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Canary sick?

Post by wildbird » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:02 am

It looks ok to me. Maybe her back toe was injured and hurts her some. If that is the case, it should heal by itself in time. Not a good idea to treat, if you don't know what you're treating for.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:55 am

The belly looks almost swollen but I'm not sure... Have you compared it to your other canaries? (The belly)
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Razasings
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Razasings » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:33 pm

How old is she, is she in nesting cycle, nesting cycle does drain some female canaries.