Windows vs lighting system

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Windows vs lighting system

Post by canary3000 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:23 pm

I'll try to keep this on point. My bird room has a lot of natural light coming from my windows. In addition to the windows, I was using an artificial light. I now think using my artificial light is rather pointless if using Windows. Plus I have on several ocassions forgotten to turn off the light. So that screwed up my birds breeding and they went into a molt. Not good!!! I'm thinking off continuing using my windows and let nature be the timer. There are light systems with sunrise/set timers. Sunflex24 certainly is touted as very good product. I can see using such a light system if the room has little to no light from windows. I'm going to try and stick with windows. With a light system you are supposed to block window lights and use a night light. Again my room never gets too dark. Stars and the moon light up the bird room. What do you think?

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Windows vs lighting system

Post by Sheather » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:34 am

I dont use lights. A sunny window is the best for them.
~Dylan

~~~

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:50 pm

Sheather wrote: I dont use lights. A sunny window is the best for them.
Agreed.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Nipper06
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Nipper06 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:28 am

I have reasonable natural light in my bird room but I still use additional full-spectrum lights over the cages, to make sure they are getting enough. I use timers on the lights. So as not to mess up my canary's singing and molting schedule, I just to make sure my artificial light "daytime" is shorter than the natural "daytime". For example, the lights come on after sunrise and go off before sundown. They way, my birds get the benefit of the extra lighting but their schedule isn't messed up.

I made the mistake of having lights on too long when I first got my canary... and he stopped singing. I since corrected the lighting as above and he is back to singing like crazy! (and don't worry, Tweety does not live in the same cage as the budgie! they only interact outside their cages, with supervision)

Ron

My Pets: 2 Java Sparrows, 1 Canary, 4 Gouldian Finches, 1 Green Singer, 2 Ringneck Doves, 1 Budgie, 2 Rosy Bourke Parakeets, and 1 Mixed-breed Terrier