Female Canary pros and cons?

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Female Canary pros and cons?

Post by limechiffon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:16 am

An acquaintance is selling a solitary female canary. He describes her as a pet, not just for breeding, but could be bred as she's been kept on a natural light cycle. I wouldn't particularly want to breed her as I was researching that and I don't currently have the room for keeping a male separate from a female, so she would just be a pet bird.

What are the pros and cons of having a single female canary as a pet? They don't sing - do they chirp? I have zebra finches and love the noise they make constantly. Does a female canary make noises? I've read all about natural light and darkness and none of that is an issue (I have the daylight lamp for my finches currently). What else would I need to know as I consider?
Gail
*Three Owl finches, 2 Zebra finches, a cat, one painted turtle, one red-eared slider, and too many fish*

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Female Canary pros and cons?

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:25 pm

limechiffon wrote: An acquaintance is selling a solitary female canary. He describes her as a pet, not just for breeding, but could be bred as she's been kept on a natural light cycle. I wouldn't particularly want to breed her as I was researching that and I don't currently have the room for keeping a male separate from a female, so she would just be a pet bird.

What are the pros and cons of having a single female canary as a pet? They don't sing - do they chirp? I have zebra finches and love the noise they make constantly. Does a female canary make noises? I've read all about natural light and darkness and none of that is an issue (I have the daylight lamp for my finches currently). What else would I need to know as I consider?
I keep my canaries together all year round, and yes a female canary does make noises. They sound very pretty. You’d need to give it a reasonably large cage so that it can fly a little and stretch it’s wings. Hope this is helpful! Canaries are lovely little birds and I’m sure You won’t regret getting one!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:09 pm

limechiffon

Hello Gail, small world - you seem to have found my ad.
I bought Cricket 3 weeks ago as a male, to mate with my female as I suspected my other male to be infertile. However, Cricket very quickly proved to be a female and flirted and mated with the male. She laid four eggs, sat, and just gave up; infertile. So I am certain now my male is the one shooting blanks.

My other female who I have had a couple years absolutely hates this poor new girl and intimidates her constantly. It is not fair to Cricket to keep her here where she is always going to be harassed so I wanted to find her a new home. She is a really nice bird, gets along with everyone else in my group, loves to take a bath, eat her apple slices and veggies and fluff up to sun herself in the windowsill. She does chirp, has a pretty melodic call actually, and she also peeps happily. She doesn't sing though.

It sounds like you have everything covered and I would feel good selling her to you. Did you already email me? I've had a few responses but none from a Gail.
~Dylan

~~~

limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by limechiffon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:47 pm

And here I am trying to be vague and not let anyone else hunt down the ad! =)) Thanks for replying! I sent you a PM.
Gail
*Three Owl finches, 2 Zebra finches, a cat, one painted turtle, one red-eared slider, and too many fish*

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:01 am

limechiffon I replied.
~Dylan

~~~